Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday the 13th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday the 13th

Yes, last Friday was the 13th! All day long. I started off the day with a nasty slip n fall on the Razor trailer right at the start of loading my cookers up. Sucked it up and loaded everything in. Lost the Backwoods Pellet Chef right off the trailer on my way to work. Thank goodness it didn't hurt anyone, it wasn't on the main highway and a very nice gentleman helped me put it back on the trailer. I had half a mind to go back and get my Jambo, but it was already 9:30 and I was planning to leave for Tupelo at 10. I bet I stopped every 30-40 minutes to check the tie-down straps. It rained the entire way over. Finally got there about 3:40, got the cookers off and went to cooks meeting. I was behind already.

Checked both cookers and they were operational, even the Pellet Chef! It looks like it took a fall, but I fried catfish for chefs choice on Friday night and it worked like a champ. It was my chicken cooker for Saturday too. I kept it at a higher temp than the FEC100 so I could set sauce on meats. That was nice to have. Haven't forgotten anything about cooking on the FEC, love that machine!

It rained off and on Friday night and humidity was very high. Everything cooks faster in high humidity. I didn't overcook my big meats, they were off and resting in the cambro at 7 am when ribs went on. All on schedule. I did slip and didn't get the chicken steamed long enough. That made the skin on the tough side. I probably should have been on the back side of the turn-in window so it'd get more time. But I wasn't. Ribs were good with a clean bite. Pork was as my usual and I thought my brisket was extraordinary.

Turn ins were uneventful and I had 4 great fellows helping me load up the trailer. We used every strap I had to tie the cookers down. Then it was awards time and it was raining! No call in chicken, no call in ribs, 6th place in pork and 8th place in brisket. When they called the top 10 teams, BBQr's Delight made number 6!!! What that meant was that my chicken and ribs didn't drag me down. Out of 94 strong competitors, I'm pretty proud of my cook.

I left right after awards. My aches and bruises from the fall Friday morning were catching up to me. I worried about straps, but it was raining and I wanted to get home. I took back roads rather than go through Memphis. I knew the road to Memphis was a mess with potholes. Made it home without losing a cooker. On Sunday afternoon, I started clean up. 3 of the 4 straps had failed on the Backwoods! Razor Trailer is going to my brother to get a cradle for the front tire of his Harley and to do what it's meant to do. This weekend I'm working on the Jambo for Hammond. Adventures in BBQ!

Wow, sounds like quite the adventure! I make it a point to never drive on 40 through Memphis. Got so many cookers your dropping them off the trailer.

Comment

More like I don't strap things down very well. Or, could be that the vibration on the small trailer loosens things.

Comment

Hope your aches and pains have gone by now, CandySue. What an adventure that was. Congrats on getting those calls in Pork and Brisket and a special shout out for being #6 overall. Yay! What a great showing for an inauspicious start to the day.

Kathryn

Comment

Congrats on the calls & that overall placement!

Comment

Well CandySueQ I am sorry for all your troubles that day but it was a very enjoyable read. I think we've all had days like that where anything that can go wrong seems to. I think 6/94 is something to be proud of!

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              Indeed! Great result!

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              6/94 is a GREAT way to start the competition year! Looking forward to contest #2 in Hammond, LA on March 27-28.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here