Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compart or Prairie Fresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murdy
    replied
    Is Compart available in grocery stores? I never heard of it. I run into all of the other brands mentioned from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Smithfields extra tender from Walmart.

Leave a comment:

• tstalafuse
    replied
    This weekend, we will be testing Compart competition and Prairie Fresh Prime for a KCBS cook in August.. Rumor is that Prairie Fresh Prime is Duroc. Pre-cook and looking at them, I don't see any difference.

Leave a comment:

• Palmetto Pirate
    replied
    Around here I can get Prairie Fresh and IBP they both seem equal to me in quality.

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    that must be who I was thinking of.

• Backroadmeats
    replied
    You can't go wrong with Comparts.. their genetics and testing just produces better pork..

Leave a comment:

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    Comparts raises Berkshire ,. Landrace and duroc. They sell only the durocs in their store and brand. I am not sure why as all the pigs I get from them look great. They are all purebreds with no cross breeding.

• Mosca
    replied
    I just unpacked a pair of Prairie Fresh St Louis cuts. The package was labeled, "All natural, minimally processed" And there was no mention of any solution added. They actually look like really nice ribs. Dry brining for tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200606_223730.jpg
Views:	2500
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	858094

Name:	20200606_223752.jpg
Views:	2186
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	858095

Name:	20200606_223804.jpg
Views:	2174
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	858096

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    If I remember correctly (it was a crazy day), the fat cap covered most of the roast. I don't leave a lot of the fat cap on the meat I cook, so I don't normally pay too much attention to that.

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Had to go look in the freezer. Not full, right where I like it trimmed to 1/2" to 1/4" thick. Guaranteed you will notice the difference from Smithfield.

• Hayduke
    commented on 's reply
    Do they have a full fat cap or is the fat cap choppy like the smithfield I buy from the store?

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    I totally agree. I would stay far away from them if they doing that to their meat .
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 17, 2019, 02:01 PM.

• ofelles
    replied
    Bought 4 butts a while ago from Compart. 2 still in freezer. The 2 I cooked were great. Pulled 1 and made my chili with other.

Leave a comment:

• Hayduke
    commented on 's reply
    Is there a big difference?

• pkadare
    replied
    Pretty sure that someone from Compart is going to be presenting at the Memphis Meat Up in April.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here