Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compart or Prairie Fresh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compart or Prairie Fresh?

I currently use Smithfield for my ribs and pork and have success but I struggle finding good ribs and full fat cap/large money muscle pork butts. I have seen Compart ribs and butts and they look aweome and I find those that use Prairie Frsh dont struggle finding good ribs and butts. Thoughts?

I just cooked my first Compart butt recently and was very happy with the outcome. Here's the story if you're interested -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...t-was-a-winner

I don't know about Prairie Fresh, so can't give you any feedback about their products.

Comment

• Hayduke
      Hayduke commented
      Editing a comment
      It seems to rain like crazy every time I light my barrels though I am squirrel free. Thanks for the feedback. One question is how full was the fat cap? did it cover the butt or was it hacked up like the smithfields I get in the store?

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      If I remember correctly (it was a crazy day), the fat cap covered most of the roast. I don't leave a lot of the fat cap on the meat I cook, so I don't normally pay too much attention to that.

I think compare uses a duroc/betkshire mix. I like 100% Berkshire. Never heard of the other brand.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Compart is 100% Duroc

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman is correct. I attended a presentation this spring by the Compart folks. They were very clear their pork was Duroc and the packaging on the meat is also labeled accordingly.

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Comparts raises Berkshire ,. Landrace and duroc. They sell only the durocs in their store and brand. I am not sure why as all the pigs I get from them look great. They are all purebreds with no cross breeding.

Compart is excellent. Also check out Porter Road, they have the Berkshire/Duroc mix, good as well.

Comment

• Hayduke
      Hayduke commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there a big difference?

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      that must be who I was thinking of.

A quick look at the Prairie Fresh website -- https://prairiefresh.seaboardfoods.c...mium-Pork.aspx -- doesn't show they are using "heritage" breeds of hogs. If they're not touting this point, my guess is they're offering commodity pork. Might be very tasty commodity pork, but if you want heritage pork instead, Compart would be the way to go of the two you mention.

edit: I just looked at a listing for the Prairie Fresh loin and the info includes "Basted with up to 16 percent added solution..." Frankly, that's a turn off for me.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally agree. I would stay far away from them if they doing that to their meat .
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 17, 2019, 02:01 PM.

Pretty sure that someone from Compart is going to be presenting at the Memphis Meat Up in April.

Comment

Bought 4 butts a while ago from Compart. 2 still in freezer. The 2 I cooked were great. Pulled 1 and made my chili with other.

Comment

• Hayduke
        Hayduke commented
        Editing a comment
        Do they have a full fat cap or is the fat cap choppy like the smithfield I buy from the store?

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Had to go look in the freezer. Not full, right where I like it trimmed to 1/2" to 1/4" thick. Guaranteed you will notice the difference from Smithfield.

I just unpacked a pair of Prairie Fresh St Louis cuts. The package was labeled, "All natural, minimally processed" And there was no mention of any solution added. They actually look like really nice ribs. Dry brining for tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200606_223730.jpg
Views:	2476
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	858094

Name:	20200606_223752.jpg
Views:	2165
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	858095

Name:	20200606_223804.jpg
Views:	2152
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	858096

Comment

You can't go wrong with Comparts.. their genetics and testing just produces better pork..

Comment

Around here I can get Prairie Fresh and IBP they both seem equal to me in quality.

Comment

This weekend, we will be testing Compart competition and Prairie Fresh Prime for a KCBS cook in August.. Rumor is that Prairie Fresh Prime is Duroc. Pre-cook and looking at them, I don't see any difference.

Comment

Smithfields extra tender from Walmart.

Comment

Is Compart available in grocery stores? I never heard of it. I run into all of the other brands mentioned from time to time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here