Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timing is everything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing is everything?

Counting down 2 weeks till my first 'big' competition and my question is about timing. I know how much time my meats take to cook. My question is - how close to turn in time do you time your meat to be ready to be boxed? How long can you let the chicken/rib/butt sit before turn in and still maintain quality?

I am not sure. But I would bet that this is a hardest part of competitions. Getting the timing down to get stuff into the judges.

Comment

CandySueQ

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

Give yourself extra cooking time at the contest, HawkIslandbbq !

Even if your timing is perfect at home, it never fails that you'll open the cooker more or something else will happen where you'll need that extra time. Of chicken, ribs and pork, chicken is the hardest to hold. So, you want to be more precise there (cooking it on its own cooker is a help). Ribs you can wrap and hold just like pork. I will drain juices, sauce and put back in the cooker for the sauce to set about 30 minutes prior to turn in. I've let pork rest for as long as 4 hours and been in the money.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here