Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Practice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice!

No electricity! Cook all four categories on a 22" WSM. Ironman BBQ in Shady Grove, PA. Limited meats! 1 pork butt, 1 slab of ribs, 7 pieces of chicken, one brisket (I have a flat). I've never flown in to cook a contest before. What do you have to have if you've got a borrowed cooker, table and canopy? Seasoning, sauce, knives, gloves, table covers, disposable cutting boards, fire starters, just to name the basics. I figure to take my trimmed meats in a cooler and pack knives and other stuff in there too. Practice tomorrow to figure cooking schedule, holding big meats in the cooler instead of Cambro. Should be fun!

CandySueQ Wow! What a challenge. How do you manage all that?!? Sounds like a great time. Is there somewhere online where we can follow the comp. and/or see the results and maybe a few pics?
    Good Luck!!

I really enjoyed the seminar today, Thanks!

-John

Comment

Do they allow batteries, like say a BBQ Dragon? I would love a cook off like that. Wish I could join you.

Comment

Have fun!!????

Comment

That sounds like a lot of stress filled fun to me. Can you drink and cook? For the stress.... LOL

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I have friends who do and do well! I'm not one of those. Some of my cooking buddies excell at bloody Mary's and the good luck shot is a tradition in some areas. While I've cooked along side one of the teams that'll be there, this is new state for me to compete. Got to thinking about where I cook last night. Think I'll mark one of those RV maps

Nope, no electrical assistance for tending fire! Thermopen is okay. Can't even have a "monitor" battery powered temp probe device to monitor pit temp. At cooking grate. Contest info is at the link, drill down to teams to see the link to the rules.

I'm making lists, what to bring and what to get when I get there (foil, 1/2 pans, water,etc.). What to do about charcoal! I most always use Ozark
          Oak lump. Cooking practice with briquettes, probably Kingsford blue cause it's generally available.

Comment

Never mind about charcoal! Mason-Dixon sells Royal Oak lump and some local cherry and hickory lump that is very enticing...

Comment

I'd be "calibrating" my bi-metal lid thermometers and on-the-rack oven thermometers for that cook. At least they allow instant reads, that just seems a wise thing.

Comment

That would be SO fun to get back to basics, so to speak. I wish I could be there. After all, humanity managed to cook for a few years without all the gadgets! Go for it Candy and tell us how it went, please.

Comment

Wow, interesting concept. Can't wait to hear your experience

Comment

I did my practice contest cook on the 22" WSM yesterday! I figure 7-8 hours cooking time to do all 4 meats. Everything was edible (though ribs still not good). I did use pellets for smoke. Going to have to work on ribs...

Comment

Wish you the best, CandySue! Can't wait to hear the outcome.

Comment

Today's lunch with MH's Secretariat Horsy Sauce (that's some real good stuff!).
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	brsammie.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	65491

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here