Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much Should A 20lb Suckling Pig (Dressed) Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Much Should A 20lb Suckling Pig (Dressed) Cost?

I feel that I'm ready to take the plunge & try my hand at roasting a small pig on my LSG stickburner. I'm aiming for a dressed 20 pounder but I have no idea what is a fair price. I've found a few online sources that will cost $200 - $250 not including shipping.

I know that Costco gets them from time to time at a better price (I think) but there doesn't seem to be any way to know when they have them other than calling or constantly checking their frozen meat section. I have a few leads on butcher/meat shops that should be able to special order one but I'd like to have a sense of what I should be ready to pay before I go down that road.

In addition to thoughts on price, please leave a comment if you have a recommendation for either an online resource or a meat shop in the San Francisco Bay Area that can get one at a reasonable price.

Thanks!

I can get a 20lb for $6.69/lb (raw) or $233 (cooked) locally. Their prices aren't always the best and pricing probably doesn't match what you get in CA. Don't know if they ship, but you can see thier prices online at https://www.centralmeats.com for a comparison point.

Comment

$200--$250 w/out shipping is what I've seen as well.

Comment

Stryker Farm is known for having the highest quality roaster pigs and suckling pigs on the internet. We can ship pigs as small as 10 lb or as large as 50 lb. Buy direct from the farm and save!

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the best buy I've seen!

I'm tempted...

Edit Add On: No, I'm not tempted--shipping to my part of the country adds $139! Aaarrggh!
          Last edited by Willy; December 29, 2018, 08:25 PM.

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          $139 shipping to CA as well. Definitely a non-starter.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I found a reasonable source in the Bay Area... the Golden Gate Meat Company quoted me $145 for 20-29lb and $155 for 30-39lb suckling pig. I can pick it up direct.

I hope to give it a shot within the next few weeks.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully they don't give you a 30lber and get that extra $10 outta you. I'd be saying, naw, give me a 29lber please I had that happen with Snake River Farms, paid for the next larger brisket tier and it was literally 2/10ths lb into that next pricier range.

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Right.... penny pinching customers is a sure-fire way to lose potential repeat business.

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't believe these places don't have a per-pound charge, just another way to bilk customers I suppose.

I always suggest he king Craigslist or www.localharvest.org to source a local pig farmer who might have one available. That price you found seems reasonable to me.

Comment

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks @ComfortablyNumb
          That's also a good link for finding a local CSA.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here