Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why take a cooking class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why take a cooking class?

I spent Friday and Saturday in Bowling Green, KY at the Warren County Pork Chopper's school. I've been cooking competition BBQ a long, long time. Did I learn something? You betcha! In my opinion, it was worth every penny to see what Donnie Bray does and get to taste his product. Am I changing everything I do? No, but there are some things that I will definitely adapt to my methods. WCPC is 2014 KCBS team of the year and tied it up in 2013. The man can COOK!

The biggest plus for me was getting fired up about cooking competition barbeque again. Can't wait to do a practice cook and try this myself in my cooker(s).

If you are new to BBQ competitions or think you might want to do this thing, spend some money and go to a class! It will push you further up the learning curve and help you with every aspect of it.

I'm waiting for YOU to offer a class, CandySue! From what Meathead says, you cook some delicious Q.

Kathryn

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Kathryn! I've taught a couple of classes and it's very rewarding.

Is there a good resource for classes? I have only run across a few, most of them from the KCBS website, but those seem to always be full!

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think there is a comprehensive site. Lots of classes are held in conjunction with a BBQ supply store. barbequelive is big in the Memphis area with Killer Hogs and Sweet Swine O Mine being the teachers (KCBS/MBN). There's a real power duo teaching a class in Texas (Butcher BBQ and Texas Pepper Jelly) this spring. Myron Mixon, Jack's Old South teaches a very hands-on class. I learn best that way and it's more active learning rather than sitting for a lecture type presentation.

This weekend in Kentucky, there were people there from AZ, CA, FL and NY! This BBQ thing is really serious for lots of folks!

In the 38 years I've been a professional cook/chef, I learn something from everyone and everyplace I cook with and for. Differing ways to set up, prep, cook, combine, etc. The hard part is opening up one's mind and attitude. Taking classes is no different. Differing perspectives lead to personal innovation which leads to one being a more well rounded cook. The more well rounded you are, the easier it becomes to cook a consistent product with inconsistent ingredients. Many times, what you think you just learned will be overshadowed by something that just "comes up" in your cook that you might have forgotten, or taken little notice when in class.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      AMEN! I think I learned most from my mother-in-law who taught me to clean as you go. Working out of a tiny class B RV, that one skill has helped tremendously.

I bet if Meathead offered grilling/BBQ/smoking classes he would be a very busy man.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      agreed!

Dang CandySueQ I wish that I knew you was going to be in BG, Ky. I would have like to meet you since I only live 17 miles from BG.

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty country! It was a blitz trip, completely focused on BBQ. Left before dawn on Friday to sit in class from 3 to 9 (they fed us pretty good!). Then back at it at 6 am Saturday morning through about 3:30. Ate some really good Que! Then back west -- made it to Jackson, TN before crashing to drive in the rain Sunday morning. Worth it though!

My brother took a class from Harry Soo and learned a LOT

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet! At King of the Smoker in 2013, I listened to Harry give a 10 minute show and tell. He's an amazing, minimalist cook.

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      He does competitions with ONE WSM...smh

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here