Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Downtown Jonesboro BBQ Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downtown Jonesboro BBQ Festival

There are 2 KCBS contests in Arkansas this weekend -- I chose to do the one in Jonesboro instead of Bikes, Blues & BBQ in Fayetteville. It's been since Alamosa since I've cooked a KCBS event! But, I've done really well in the last 2 BCA contests I cooked in and I believe I'll try something new based on success with BCA. Last contest, I cooked my chicken half (dangerous, I only cooked one!) on the Jumbo Joe, using Kingsford Cherry, my SnS and mulberry pellets. I'm going to cook thighs the same way on Saturday.

Because it's closer to Memphis, I'm thinking that baby back ribs may do better than spares. Since I typically don't do well with ribs, I got nothing to lose with this choice.

Pork butt -- I've got a nice looking trimmed Smithfield, a heritage Berkshire that's been in the freezer and I'm thinking I'll buy a Tyson boneless from Walmart. I have a plan to do pork butt burnt ends by cubing the fat side to get rub all around. Smoke it fat side up until toasty and brown. Cut it off the main part of the butt, cube it up, more rub in a flat sheet pan and back to the cooker. Right before I box, I'll add sauce. Turn it in with money muscle slices and some loose "bacon" pulled pork.

I have one more Australian Waygu brisket all trimmed and ready. This is the pretty one of the two I got. Last 2 contests, I was 2nd in brisket with Walmart aged IBP half flats. I have a problem injecting a brisket that is marbled with fat to the max, so I may just salt it after inspection, then season my normal way.

That's my plan!

Good luck! Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Always nice to hear th Joe family git th nod, they're really quite wonderful cookers, that are so often overlooked...

I wish ya Major Success, an enjoy yer Comp!!!!

Comment

Wishing you well with your cooks, but I am tired thinking of that much cooking with that many deadlines. Keep us posted.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            All in the scheduling! What makes me tired is driving home and dealing with pounds of cooked meat. I'm not real happy with my new Foodsaver.

You drive all the way home with cooked meat? Hmmm. I’ll give you directions.
          Cook em CandySue!

Comment

• Gunderich_1
            Gunderich_1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, I'm only a couple of hours away from Jonesboro....if you need a taste tester........?????

Good Luck, Australian Waygu brisket whoooo, cannot imagine that price tag. Your close to home this time.

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            If you have to ask...

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Not as pricey as others if you buy 3! Gets the freight down.

Pork was my best! But only 11th. Learned that the fatty bottom of the pork butt makes tasty "belly" cubes, but they don’t hold in the cambro. Going to try again this weekend in Sheridan, AR.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	EA2D39FF-3B09-4E63-A389-E7EC2B2A6AAA.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	573254
          Brisket I thought was spot on, but the judges didn’t.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0222CF76-2A1F-4D3B-9404-13E6706196EE.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	573255

Comment

Good luck. I ran into someone who knew you while volunteering with OBR in Wilmington, but I can't remember his name, or where or when he met you....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here