Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever been to American Royal BBQ world series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever been to American Royal BBQ world series?

I been watching BBQ pitmasters on tv and find it entertaining. Never been to a bbq competition and was wondering if there is enough going on to keep girlfriend entertained for one or two days. She says we dont need to go out of town to see a bunch of fat guys babysitting smokers. She sees that every weekend when looking out window at me and the neighbors.

Dump her, quick!

The Royal I hear is the biggest.

Comment

Lol! At least she's honest! I can really see her point about comps. But I do enjoy walking around, chatting with the teams et.c.

Comment

Either that, or it doesn’t say a lot for you. 😎

its the biggest & the bestest! And there will be plenty of other stuff also.
        Last edited by FireMan; July 31, 2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

We went a few years ago just on Friday. It was fun to see all the amateurs with their cookers during the day. The Pros were around but not cooking on Friday. We did eat and drink a little at the Operation BBQ Relief Party then we left. I think the parties went thru the night. There were displays of cookers and gadgets to look at too. The big competitions were Saturday and Sunday I believe?!?!

Comment

There are lots of things to do at large cook offs
            But you may have more fun going with someone also interested in cooking

Getting in the certified judges class and judging a contest maybe a great way to go for you two

Comment

I have a standing invite from my niece (who lives in Kansas) to fly from Philadelphia to attend this event. Thinking about it...

Comment

My wife and I went in the early 90's. We were in town visiting my parents and saw an ad in the paper. The cookoff was held by the old stock yards with the teams parked under a big parking cover similar to The Parking Spot. When we got there we just walked in. No one was taking tickets or asking for money. We walked up and down each isle talking to the contestants. Everyone we talked to asked if wanted to try their BBQ. We were stuffed when we lefted. Today, the KCBS rules prohibit offerring food to anyone not on your team. And they moved the event to the Kansas Speedway. I'm sure it's much more regulated now. We are considering going too.

Comment

I've cooked it 4 times and judged the invitational once. This was down when it was at the old place though, 2013 was my last year to cook the AR.

I highly recommend the "Praise the Lard" BBQ contest in Murphysboro, which is closer to you and the weekend after the AR. http://17bbq.com/ It's KCBS and MBN certified, put on by the legendary Mike Mills.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here