Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Competition Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Competition Advice Needed

So, I've seen a lot of posts about 1st competitions and didn't see anyone asking this question. If I've missed it, I apologize.

So a co-worker and myself are going to do a BBQ competition in a few weeks. We're going to try our hand in the backyard division. Our meats are chicken and ribs. I'm confident with ribs and have been doing some testing. My teammate has been working on perfecting his chicken.

My main question is, how much chicken & ribs do competitors usually cook in order to get those perfect ribs/thighs for the turn in box?

Any other good advice/tips/tricks that anyone is willing to share would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Practice, practice and practice again! Make sure you have everything you need, just like you're going to the contest. If you don't use it, leave it at home. If you have to run in and get something, make sure it's on the take list.

I usually cook 2 racks of ribs and 8-12 pieces of chicken, thighs or legs. BUT, I've been doing this a long time and I cook alone, so I don't have time to detail everything to the max.

If you practice and get your time table down, you'll have a great time! First rule in BBQ is have fun!

Comment

If your competing near home and friends will be stopping by
      cook as many ribs as you can with your set up
      4 racks and a dozen thighs is what we do
      assuming your turning in 6 pieces
      Good luck remember to HAVE FUN

Comment

1st attempt at a comp trim
        Click image for larger version

Name:	8A6BC410-0E78-4458-8BA4-0C3A8E2DF552.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	526296

Comment

Here is my post on my 1st backyard from April of this year: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ion-my-results

Seeems like the more experience ppl at my competition were cooking 3-4 racks of ribs and 12-16 chicken thighs.

Comment

• Smokin_Stone
            Smokin_Stone commented
            Editing a comment
            Damn, those turn in boxes looked pretty good!

In addition to Candy's advice above, check out her recent PitCast interview where she delves into more detail. Also the Competitions tab on the free site has lots of valuable info.

Comment

I make a detailed time line of what I plan to do. Hour by hour schedule.
            There is a lot of free time but you have to know where you are all the time. The turn in time can be hectic so you need to be relaxed going into it. Make sure you know how far you have to walk to turn in. Make sure you post the turn in times where everyone can see it. As I said things get hectic and you want to always confirm in your mind the turn in times.
            One thing you want to make sure you bring is a first aid kit with band-aids. If you nick yourself while trimming meat you need to take care of the cut. Ask me how I know? Don't take the entire kitchen just what you need. Lots of paper towels. Lots of spray cleaner with bleach. One of those lights for your head so you can check on thing and have your hands free.
            You might need something to put the coals in after the competition so you don't have to wait forever for the pit to cool down.
            Another thing is find out how late you can turn in. Some competitions give you 10 minutes after the turn in time. So if you turn in 5 minutes early and the cut off is 10 after your meat is setting 15 minutes cooling off. Add another 10 minutes before the judges sit down and start judging that 20-25 minutes. So don't turn in too early. Ask me how I know that?
            It is a different kind of fun. I am usually pretty dang tired afterwards. They usually do awards about an hour after the last turn in so be ready to wait a little while to find out how you did. Oh yeah bring a chair to the place they call out the awards and definitely get there early it is usually very crowded.

Comment

• Smokin_Stone
              Smokin_Stone commented
              Editing a comment
              Sound advice, much appreciated!!

• T-bone
              T-bone commented
              Editing a comment
              At a KCBS event, judges are sitting at their tables at least 15 mins before turn in. Once six teams have turned in and the boxes have been re-labled for double-blind judging, they're delivered to a judging table. KCBS turn in times are 5 mins before to 5 mins after turn in time, it's not uncommon for to start judging before the actual turn in time if enough teams turn in early.

• jecucolo
              jecucolo commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know. I have only done Lonestar Barbeque Society and some non sponsored events.

I would like to add, a couple other things, and everyone;s advice is spot on. Drink beer, We do 3 ribs, 16 chicken thighs, buy the best meat you can find, your ribs looked good. Pull membrane off them. ? Don't be afraid to get your meats done a little early, in case you have a problem. You can always put them in a dry cooler to keep them warm. Set the glaze ? try not to get the BBQ sauce to thick. When I did a judging earlier this spring, many of the other judges said they did not like thick sauce. Some double coat/ triple coat, one is enough. Drink beer. Use rubber gloves and try to be sanitary. Have fun!

Comment

So here’s the 1st practice run. The rack on the cutting board I felt turned out better than the other. I would have been happy with those.**color needs work lol
              Click image for larger version  Name:	41BE6EB4-1728-459F-80B6-28BBD8466A56.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.82 MB ID:	526969Click image for larger version  Name:	F891145E-5A62-4141-A2D4-1C9690E96920.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.25 MB ID:	526970Click image for larger version  Name:	70172563-A553-488E-AD5B-4EFC7001325F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	526971

Comment

• randy56
                randy56 commented
                Editing a comment
                Color looks good to me.

Looks great! Something else I learned recently when cutting ribs you want to take as much meat on each side of a rib. What that means is every other rib bon will have almost no meat on it. When the judge bites down you want them to get a full bite of meat.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s a Texas thing. No need to "Hollywood" for KCBS

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                CandySueQ you dont "competition cut" your ribs? I mean i have only competed in Texas, so if you say its a Texas thing, i believe you.

So..... here we are.... first KCBS backyard division......... 1st in chicken!!!!!!! And 10th in ribs .... 3rd overall... out of 18 teams. We were pretty excited 😊
              Click image for larger version

Name:	55A72575-B930-4FA1-B88C-8A3830A4BC81.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	535733Click image for larger version

Name:	4482BF8B-9989-4395-93BF-5A55125118BA.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	535734

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Woo Hoo! Big Congratulations on both your calls!

nice work, chicken is always my weak spot. Want to share some tips?

Comment

• Smokin_Stone
                Smokin_Stone commented
                Editing a comment
                We were scared to death of the chicken lol. Especially since the thighs we got, from a butcher no less, were tiny. So we decided to cut the bones out and do cupcake chickens. Nothing special, just seasoned and sprayed with butter before we cooked and they turned out amazing.

Wow!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here