Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Backyard Competition - Minnesota in May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Backyard Competition - Minnesota in May

I decided to try my hand at competition cooking. We were tasked with cooking chicken and ribs. My chicken game isn't the best. I rarely smoke it, and it showed today. My "backyard" flavor profile tends to be more savory, less saucy, and with a little kick. That didn't play well with the judges. I also could've used a little less smoke. We placed 22nd out of 24 teams.

I'm fairly confident in ribs, but again I prefer a savory profile with no sauce. I ended placing higher in this category, 15/24, so I'm ok with that score.

Despite finishing 22/24 overall, I was pretty happy with my scores. Coming into the competition with zero experience, I wanted to cook what I like for BBQ to get a sense of what the judges are looking for. I definitely learned a lot, and am hungry to gain more knowledge to keep improving my skills for the next challenge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32313384_2056039641091106_1325751950670561280_n.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	498539Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180512_081237.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	498540Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4891.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	498541Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4890.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	498542

Nice start!

Comment

Oh man those ribs look delish brother!

Comment

Congrats, Brother!
        Ya already scored higher than I ever have in a Competition!

Yer food looks Great, an I'm sure I woulda ate on it until I was chewin on my fingertips, by accident!

Super glad to hear from ya again; don't be such a Stranger, okay?

Comment

Been considering going at it just like you did. Make them how I like them and go from there. I'm sure you already have ideas going for the next run. Good 1st run.

Comment

• chochico
            chochico commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not a bad idea. It's an amateur competition so there's not a lot of pressure.

Great Job!

Comment

Great lookin' ribs.

Comment

Cook for yourself first let the judges fall where they may. Don't let competitions sway you from you know what is good bbq. Most judges couldn't cook as good as most contestants. Your ribs look fantastic! Nice job!

Comment

Great lookin ribs!

Comment

Dang!!! Had I known, I would have come down to check you guys out! Congrats on having the stones to do this! Let me know next year, maybe we can team up or at least get together and BS around the smokers for a bit! (No Shiggin', I promise)

Those ribs look great to me! I am more of a savory man, myself.

Comment

I'd eat those. All of those.....

Comment

If I was judging there and if those ribs taste as good as they look (which I’m sure they did ) you you would be in the top 5 in ribs.

Comment

Number 1 priority have fun
                      You did so its all good

Comment

you have taken the plunge. Hold on from here. Good news is most back yard contests are regional flavors. Not that over the top sweet syrupy flavor that so many judges on the bigger circuits look for.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here