Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions for Competition Cooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for Competition Cooks

I'm a KCBS competition cook wannabe (currently a judge), and I'm practicing every week at home. I have a couple questions, if you have time to answer:

1. Where do you get your competition chicken thighs?

2. In your opinion, is there any value in "practicing at home" with thighs from places like Publix, Sam's, Costco, etc? Or would you recommend that I practice with the same thighs I'd be using in competition?

Thank You.

sure you can win with a store chicken thigh
    Sanderson Farms is popular at contests and its store bought

I like to cook Air Dried Chicken when I can find it

Costco and Sams Chicken here has TOO much fat under the sink
    Your selection maybe different

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Emery View Post
      sure you can win with a store chicken thigh
      Sanderson Farms is popular at contests and its store bought

I like to cook Air Dried Chicken when I can find it

Costco and Sams Chicken here has TOO much fat under the sink
      Your selection maybe different
      Thanks. The thighs at my local Costco are huge, with large fat deposits all under the skin.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Check the plant number next time. It will be somewhere on the package. It is listed as, "P-777" or whatever. Most will be three numbers, some have four. Get back to me. Might could tell you how long the birds are being raised. 49-52 days will give you a pretty hefty chicken with some plants going beyond that.

• TBoneJack
        TBoneJack commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do Jerod. Thank you.

Originally posted by TBoneJack View Post

Thanks. The thighs at my local Costco are huge, with large fat deposits all under the skin.
      I would consider that a big plus. You need to trim away the fat, even if you don’t scrape the skin. You can then trim each piece to the same size and you will have plenty of skin to wrap the entire thigh. Regardless of using the bone or removing, it’s good to have a lot of skin to enclose everything.

Comment

We generally use a brand called Bell & Evans for competition cooks. They are air chilled and excellent quality.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't wait til you get to a comp to open the packet! I did and it cost me.

• Jreilly
          Jreilly commented
          Editing a comment
          CandySueQ, how did it cost you? Just curious because I planned on doing that

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought 2 packs of 4 thighs each. One packet was bad, really bad. 4 judges gave me great scores, 2 did not

I compete maybe once a year at regional cooks. Sanderson farm is my go to for chicken. Have been trying smart chicken lately at home. skin is MUCH thinner, and much less fat to trim. They ARE much smaller thighs though. Thinking of switching to the legs as that has a movement going on as of late.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here