Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st KCBS Backyard competition - Pickin N Pullin in Lanexa Va

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st KCBS Backyard competition - Pickin N Pullin in Lanexa Va

This past weekend I decided to try my hand at my first BBQ competition. I opted for the Backyard division mostly because I only had to turn in Ribs and Pork instead of all 4 KCBS meats, I figured 2 turn ins was enough for my first attempt. I was kind of shocked when I got there though, I heard two numbers, but there were either 52 or 55 backyard teams competing! I took my Meadow Creek PR42 and my 22" Weber kettle with my SnS. I started my butts out in the middle of the night on the Weber kettle and after about 5.5 hours I wrapped them and moved them to the Meadow creek that I had just fired up since it has a lot more cooking space. I started the ribs on the Meadow Creek shortly after I wrapped the butts. The ribs smoked for about 3 hours at 240* at which point I wrapped them as well for another 1.5ish hours. When I could start to move rib bones fairly easily I pulled the ribs, sauced them and put them back on the smoker for a few minutes to caramelize. I sliced all 3 racks and did my best to pick out the best 6 ribs. I apologize, trying to focus on the competition and with strict time deadlines, I got very few pictures unfortunately. The ribs that I tried close to the ones I turned in I thought tasted great and had a good bite, tender but not falling apart, but maybe 20 minutes later I got some time to eat a few of the ribs, and they had dried out significantly. I know once you slice meat it will dry out, but I had never had ribs dry out that much that quickly, not sure what the cause was, but I'll need to figure it out before I try this again, I'm sure they had dried out by the time the judges tried them.

As for the pork, when the butts hit about 203* I unwrapped them and put them back on the meadow creek to firm up the bark for about 20 minutes. I did try (for the first time ever) to remove and slice the "money muscle". I figured since I hadn't done it before I would try it, and if it didn't look/taste good then I would only put pulled pork in the turn in box. It was a little smaller than I had hoped, but the slices had good color, a nice smoke ring, and from the pieces I got to try tasted good, so I turned in 6 slices of that along with 6 "scoops" of pulled pork.

My opinion of my cook was that the ribs were my best bet to do well, I wasn't completely happy with the taste of the pulled pork, so I ended up saucing it more heavily than I planned to for the turn in. Apparently I was wrong, I haven't seen the results posted with my scores, but I did not place inside the top 10 in ribs, but did get a call for 4th place pork! In retrospect I also found it amusing that most of the cooking of my butts was done on a Weber Kettle that I got for $99, plus the SnS, where as most of the other cookers I saw around me were worth well north of $1,000. All in all it was a fun experience, and now I may be hooked into trying a competition at least one more time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31727819_10104762184490979_4915121115677851648_n.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	493400Click image for larger version

Name:	31740024_10104762184480999_3364466544036806656_n.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	493401Click image for larger version

Name:	31739980_10104762184396169_4724178375915077632_n.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	493402

Yeah buddy!!! That's how to do it! You never really know that's why you gotta play the game. Pork sound delicious right now. In fact I think I'll have some now.

Nice work! You'll be chasing that one forever.
    Congratulations

Comment

• MarkSimmers
      MarkSimmers commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! And yea, I definitely thought later that in the long run it would have probably saved me a lot of money had I come in dead last in both categories and never wanted to try another competition haha.

That's fantastic, congratulations. Goes to show it's not the package that makes the product, it's the skill and knowledge of the cook. You did us proud !!!

Comment

Good for you! (yep, reel you in, you're hooked!)

Comment

Congratulations! That smile tells it all.

Comment

Congrats on a fun day.

Comment

Congrats! Looks like a good cook, and placing at all is an honor!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here