Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st KCBS Backyard Competition - My Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st KCBS Backyard Competition - My Results

A buddy and I decided to dive right in and entered our 1st backyard KCBS competition last weekend. You even were given a pork butt just for entering that you needed to cook and turn in for a "people's choice" voted award. Not sure if this is common or not, but I thought it was cool. Here are some photos:

Pork: Didn't place in the people's choice, but wasn't expecting to anyhow. Figured having thousands of people vote on 90+ teams pork was a needle in a haystack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3799.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	488637

​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3804.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	488636

Chicken: We did the best in. There were 22 backyard teams, and we placed 7th in chicken. Scores were:
    Appearance: 9, 8, 8, 9, 9, 8
    Taste: 8, 8, 6, 8, 8, 7
    Tenderness: 8, 8, 9, 6, 8, 7
    The judge that gave me a 6 on taste said that the meat was overpowered tremendously by the flavor of the sauce and they wanted the chicken flavor to stand out more. Given the day of the competition was the 1st time I have ever built a box, and the scores were overall pretty good in my opinion for the 1st comp, I am not going to change a whole lot on my chicken for the next competition. Maybe a small tweak or 2.

​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3806.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	488635

Ribs: We need some work on. I think we made quite a few rookie mistakes that day, as I know we can produce better tasting ribs. Placed 17th out of 22.
    Appearance: 8, 6, 9, 8, 8, 8..... how did a 6 get in there?!?!
    Taste: 5, 6, 8, 7, 7, 6
    Tenderness: 5, 7, 7, 6, 7, 6
    We got 3 comment cards back from ribs. Everything from mushy to chewy/dry/tough. I think the huge mistake here was cooking too many racks in 2 different PBCs. Too many variables to make the racks different. And then we selected the best-looking ribs to turn in. Didn't even taste neighboring ribs from what we selected! Sigh... But, what we tasted after turn-in we liked, so just not sure here. Back to the drawing board. Going to smoke only a few racks in 1 barrel next time for more consistent results. Going to make quite a few changes on ribs for the next one, we have a few ideas. Overall we had a ton of fun, it was a great experience, and the BBQ people and world is amazing!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3807.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	488634 ​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​
    Attached Files

The boxes looks good. Especially the chicken and the ribs. Kudos to you for giving it a go.

What are your tweaks going to be for the chicken? That is the one I would struggle with the most. I just don't make it very much.

Comment

• smn1285
      smn1285 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not quite sure on Chicken tweaks yet. Do not want to change too much since the rest of the scores were 8s a couple 7s and a 9. Might ever so slightly tone down the sauce so it is not so overpowering. Who knows, another set of judges could love it as is! Its all subjective.

Don't be disheartened, can't please everyone. You had fun, that matters most.

Comment

Good Job! Sounds like you are in it to win it.

Comment

It’s all about having fun.

Comment

Having fun is what counts. good scores are a bonus.

Comment

Great job! Thanks for sharing! I think it was Russians judges that gave you those sixes - just kidding (Attempt at Olympic humor). I'd love to try a competition sometime. I just feel it would take so much practice. I would love to hear more about the day and or pictures of your setup.

Comment

• smn1285
              smn1285 commented
              Editing a comment
              I was looking at the 1 photo I managed to take of the setup, its terrible, Too far away. But all I did was read the competition thread here, snagged the competition prep list from the main amazingribs website, and rolled from there. I watched a ton of videos online about competition (insert meat here) and a buddy and I just perfected the recipes that we liked.

• Black99vette
              Black99vette commented
              Editing a comment
              smn1285 Thanks for the info. I have been watching a lot of videos. The prep list is a good idea.

Nice job my friend. It's hard tomput yourself out there. First butterflies gone. Saddle up.

Comment

I had a blast, I am very proud of what we did. It was very fun, and yes, some of the scores were just a bonus. What I liked the most was that everyone in the backyard division was so helpful. I introduced myself to the teams camping in the direct vicinity as me, said I was new, and they were really into making sure we were on point, getting everyhting, shariing some tips and tricks, etc. I read all over that you should attend competitions 1st to get a feel before entering. I really liked just jumping in and getting 1st hand experience right off the jump.

Comment

I like your style! While others are "gettin' ready", you are cookin. Experience is a pretty good teacher. Your finished product looks pretty darn good to me.

Comment

That looks great. Impressed that you had time for photos.
                  i'm usually working hard to get things turned in.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here