Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first KCBS competition - bad results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for CandySueQ Do you only cook with pellets when doing comps? If so, why and why not logs. What cookers wins the most in comps? Is it stickburners, pellet cooker or charcoal with wood chunks? I’m just curious.

Comment

Right now, the hottest cooker on the circuit is the Gateway Drum (charcoal). Jambo offset pits are a close 2nd (logs).

I use pellets in my drum (for flavor with the charcoal fire). I did cook 2 contests last year with my Jambo using wood. Did a test run yesterday on the Jambo with the new pellet fire system. Like it lots! Going to a contest with it this weekend, Savannah, Tennessee!

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your reply back and good luck in Savannah.

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do Yourself Proud, CandySueQ

Thanks DWCowles! I think I'm going to take the Blues Hog Drum just on account of that’s where I won it at the first Savannah/Jackson contest 3 years ago. Hang ribs and finish chicken on it! Click image for larger version

Name:	11A3277E-473D-4C63-9E12-4DA17DC19FF6.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	481298

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        That is so cool. Let us know how you did.

I'm also a judge and I agree with bak01. Need to taste the meat. If the sauce is over powering or masking the taste of pork, then you'd be marked down. Not uncommon to be cooked perfectly (tenderness) but lack flavor (taste). In addition, you have 3 different pulled pork groups in the box. Money muscle, strands, and chunks. Judges have to try all three and judge it as one. I think competitors feel as though they have to put everything (MM, pulled, chunks, slices, etc) into their pork box, but they don't. You should just put in the best. Judges are not suppose to mark down a box if it contains only pulled, slices or MM. Same with brisket. Put your best in the box. And judges are not judging on smoke rings either.

Comment

Drip the vinegar from the sauce. Also maybe look at adding some depth to your rub. Did you wrap at all? That's another opportunity to add flavor and complexity. Appearance can be improved some, but I gather finishing that low taste and tenderness is what killed you.

Comment

Originally posted by TomasG View Post
          My first KCBS competition (Smokin on Big Creek BBQ, Pleasant Hill, MO) in March did not go very well. I was responsible for pork. Our team ended 33/39 in this category - kind of disappointing for me. I did get very good scores on both on appearance and tenderness, but I got terrible scores on taste (6 7 7 7 8 9). I did not see that coming and cannot figure out what was wrong, especially when I liked the final product a lot (as well as everyone in my team). My recipe (high-level): butcher's bbq injection, killer hog rub, finishing sauce mix of IPO bbq sauce, apple juice, and cider vinegar. I plan on doing exactly the same thing on my next comp, however given the consistency of the judges, I think there is something wrong with what I do.

What would be some of the flavor profiles that are known to work with KCBS for pork? Any advise on how to step up in this category?

My turn-in box (the money muscle is sliced, it is just not visible on the picture well):
          turn-in box pork
          Drop the cider vinegar
          Not sure about pulled pork in the box anymore
          Sliced MM and chunks
          Add something sweet to your combo of flavors

Comment

Here's my pork box from Savannah, TN on April 14th. Took 3rd place.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	PK.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	488241

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              CandySueQ, 👍 👍 You Got Robbed Girl ❓ IMLTHOP, 3rd For A 1st
              Place Turn in Like Yours❓❓👍 👍 Dan

• ljk925
              ljk925 commented
              Editing a comment
              There is a puddle of drool on my desk. WOW that looks awesome!

NICE what did it score?
            Is this a old picture?
            We just don't see Green Leaf Lettuce used that way much anymore
            When we were cooking That was our go to

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              3rd out of 28 teams. 989, 999, 988, 989, 999, 899 = 174.8456. GC got 1st in PK, 3rd overall got 2nd.

This is from Savannah, TN on 4/14/18

I like green leaf!

I may go back to it!
            I loved making the frame for the meat picture
            dang good scores

Comment

CandySueQ Thanks for sharing, doing KCBS this weekend, also doing my first Judging at Kennett Mo on 5/4/18

@TomasG hang in there dude, my first was a bomb also, getting better, you will also. doing 8 cooks this year.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Best of luck, randy56! Atlanta, Calhoun or Southaven? I'm taking time off the comp circuit, though I'm going to a gathering of Travatos this weekend and hauling the Yoder to cook ribs, pulled chicken and a brisket. And grilling gator on the Grill Grates! Guaranteed 180 -- I'm the only BBQer!

• randy56
                randy56 commented
                Editing a comment
                And good luck to you,i don't know if our path's will cross again this year, The only one I thought I may see you at would be Clarksville TN 10/19/18

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
              I'm also a judge and I agree with bak01. Need to taste the meat. If the sauce is over powering or masking the taste of pork, then you'd be marked down. Not uncommon to be cooked perfectly (tenderness) but lack flavor (taste). In addition, you have 3 different pulled pork groups in the box. Money muscle, strands, and chunks. Judges have to try all three and judge it as one. I think competitors feel as though they have to put everything (MM, pulled, chunks, slices, etc) into their pork box, but they don't. You should just put in the best. Judges are not suppose to mark down a box if it contains only pulled, slices or MM. Same with brisket. Put your best in the box. And judges are not judging on smoke rings either.
              I'm a KCBS judge as well. And I absolutely hate it when cooks put 3 different cuts of pork in their box. We have to taste a sample of all 3 cuts, which fills us up fast.

To me, strands of pulled pork are boring. Give me a couple chunks with bark, and a slice of money muscle with bark, and I'm happy. Donate the pulled strands to the People's Choice sampler table.

I judged a rather large KCBS pro competition yesterday (The Whistlestop, in Huntsville Alabama). And NONE of the brisket boxes at my table had burnt ends. I was happy with that. I gave one entry a 999.

I wish KCBS would mandate that only one cut of any meat can be included in the box, because I'm still full from yesterday's judging. Literally.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here