Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy meat in the North East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy meat in the North East

Can anyone recommend a good butcher shop in the Northeast? Looking for a go-to place to get specialized cuts of high quality beef and pork like whole uncured pork belly or slabs of beef ribs. I live a half hour south of Boston but im willing to drive a ways for the right place.

Iv also thought about having meat delivered from an online retailer like SRF but the price tag is a little hard to swallow. Anyone have any luck with those guys? Im dying to try the cap of ribeye. Never seen that cut at any of the shops iv been to around here.

~Fortin

At a North east meat store.

I apologize, I just couldn’t resist.

Oh, welcome aboard, eat good & have fun!

Comment

One other SRF alternative is Brandt Beef out of CA. For briskets they are a bit cheaper than SRF and I love the quality. They are a high end prime grade brisket- ton of soft white fat throughout. You can get two comp briskets (it says they're 12-14lbs but I always get them at 14 lbs+) for $189+ shipping. You can also get 5 smaller 12lb range briskets for $299+ shipping.

Their tri-tip is off the chain good and you wont find that in the Northeast. I havent tried the brandt portioned steaks. They have4 18oz bone-in ribeyes for $150. I highly doubt you'd be disappointed with anything you get from brandt. That being said, every SRF steak i've found is excellent. Either way, you'll pay for good beef!

Good luck!

Comment

Check out the Butchers & Meat Suppliers channel (where I moved this question) there are sub-channels for each state as well as online merchants. There may be some great suggestions in there. If you find a good source, be sure to post in there let us know to help future members who search there!

Comment

If you want a very good online meat purveyor check out http://www.lafrieda.com/ They are located in New Jersey so you would probably be looking at a 1-2 day shipping. And their meats are excellent.

Comment

I get the sense he's looking for a local source for reasonably priced prime meat. surely there are some Boston members on here that can direct him. Also, Costco is always a good source if you live near one !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fortin21 View Post
              I'm dying to try the cap of ribeye. Never seen that cut at any of the shops iv been to around here.

~Fortin
              Cap steaks are simply the spinalis dorsi muscle on top of the prime rib roast that is rolled and tied into a pinwheel steak. You can actually make your own if or when you buy a prime rib roast. Here is Meathead's article on these steaks in the free area of the site;

Along the outside edge of the beef ribeye lies the rib cap or deckle, which is more marbled and flavorful than the ribeye itself.

Comment

Fortin, I was in the same boat about two years ago. Look and try everything. You’ll find what you like. I use Costco, Seabra ( a large South America grocery store) and two local butchers. Between them I’ve found everything I’ve wanted to cook. There’s gotta be some great butchers in Boston.

Comment

Fortin21 what did you end up finding? I live in Attleboro. I usually go to Chartleys Country Stores in Rehoboth or Norton www.chartleys.com.
                  I've also gone to The Produce Barn in Norton www.producebarnonline.com.
                  I've heard good things about Haverhill Beef Co but have never been there. They have Prime meats. www.haverhillbeef.com.
                  I've also been wanting to check out Armando & Sons in Providence. I've heard it's a classic full service butcher shop, meats cut to order, and great prices. www.armandosmarket.com.

I too would love to try SRF, but haven't been able to pull the trigger. One of these days, they'll have a sale I can't refuse!

Let me know what you've found, I'd love to try some new places.

-Pete

Comment

Fortin21 for pork belly you should absolutely go to Costco. I’m reasonably sure that they will carry pork belly, spareribs, back ribs, pork butt in the Boston area. Probably they won’t carry brisket, sadly.

Comment

Also, a bit expensive, but consider joining Crowd Cow — https://www.crowdcow.com/l ...... less expensive than SRF, same quality. And take a look at Painted Hills — https://natural-beef.com/ .... this is where my butcher sources his meat from.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here