Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comparison of Crowd Cow and Supermarket Chuck Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radshop
    replied
    It's been a long time since I've done beef ribs. You're making me hungry.

Leave a comment:

• Fire Art
    replied
    I’m not a big grass fed beef guy I like the corn grain finished beef but as far as the SousVide goes I like to dry brine then smoke then SousVide and seared ever thing I’ve don that way has been awesome

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Nice write up! Those ribs look nice. I was happy with the service when I got my last package from them.

I just bought some Crowd Cow for my brother's birthday. Looking forward to what he thinks of it.

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    replied
    I had some Crowd Cow beef ribs from I believe Lil Ponderosa farm. Overall I really liked them. They weren't quite as decadently fatty as the standard grain fed beef I usually get but they were moist enough and had great flavor. If the beef ribs are available when I order again from there I will definitely buy them again.

Leave a comment:

• Omega-Man
    replied
    Some thoughts on grass fed beef.
    • Less total fat.
    • More heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
    • More conjugated linoleic acid, a type of fat that's thought to reduce heart disease and cancer risks.
    • More antioxidant vitamins, such as vitamin E.
    Grass Fed and Grass Finished is supposed to be even better but, yes, they are both leaner.
    The cows are treated better and if you have ever looked at the Crowd Cow site and looked at the pictures from each provider, the cows appear to be truly pasture raised and live a much better life.

Leave a comment:

• MeatMonster
    replied
    Great pics!

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Just ordered a CC tri-tip, can’t wait to get it and tear that puppy up. Great write up and comparison!! Thanks !!

Leave a comment:

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    I used to buy 18 month old holstein steers back when we had a hobby farm. My butcher told me to feed them calf starter for about 6 weeks and then turn them out to pasture but not before. I did and then butchered them about 6 months later. Some of the best meat I've ever had. Sounds like what they are doing is almost the same thing only in reverse.

Leave a comment:

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    I've had so-called "grass fed" beef from a local farm around here, and agree that it had less marbling. I didn't care for it. The farm that the CC order came from claimed "grain finished". Not real sure what that means or how it's different from cattle finished in the large commercial operations. Maybe somebody here knows.
    Last edited by johnec00; March 24, 2018, 12:20 PM.

• Frozen Smoke
    replied
    Anything grass fed or pasture raised only is going to be on the leaner side. This is evidenced by your first pic. Looks like you have more marbling in the store bought while the CC ribs look noticeably leaner. I'm a little surprised then that the CC ribs were more moist as you noted. That might have something to do with the SV which is something I know nothing about.

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison I have been tempted by CC for awhile but SRF and Creek Stone has been eating up the expensive meat off the internet budget lately.

Nice choice on the Black Ops rub!

Leave a comment:

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    I look forward to hearing how yours turns out and what you think of Crowd Cow in general. My SV gizmo was a gift from the daughter who was joining me for dinner. Sooooo . . .

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    We're looking forward to your findings!

• DWCowles
    replied
    I have a rack of beef short ribs from Crowd Cow at home in the freezer. I think they weigh about 5 lbs and they came from a grass fed cow.

Thanks for the comparison write up. I was going to do the same side by side test except without SV’ing. I think I still will.

BTW, they both look delicious to me.

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    Thanks for the comparison.
    I do have to say. Both look really good.
    Nice job my brother.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    +1, great job!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here