Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st KCBS Backyard BBQ competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st KCBS Backyard BBQ competition

I hadn't really given much thought to the idea of competing, but I found out yesterday that there will be a Backyard competition held in little ol' E'town, in conjunction with the "BBQ, Blues and Bikes Festival" in May (https://bbqbluesfest.com/). It is getting to be a bigger deal each year, and now they are adding a competition to the mix. The required meats are ribs and chicken. A friend/neighbor has some limited competition experience and is really good with chicken, so... challenge accepted! We will team up and see how it goes, but the idea of being judged by folks who actually know what they're doing really appeals to me.

My buddy has already sent me a link to another backyard comp in August, so this might become a new variation on my hobby.
    Last edited by Steve R.; March 10, 2018, 10:53 AM.

I wish y'all th very best of luck, brother, an hope that ya have big fun in th process!!!!

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      No doubt! Having a competent teammate should help tremendously. Now if I can just BE a competent teammate...

Sounds like fun. As expected, we require pictures and a full report.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      As a Pit member, you know pictures are an essential part of it. Hopefully there is time for that! May have to enlist more helpers for that duty.

Yes I am pondering doing the same thing - there is a "shadetree" category in the local KCBS sanctioned event in May with chicken and ribs only. $200 to enter. I may not do it this year, but certainly will at some point.

i need to work on beefing up the legs and wheels on my offset, or get a PBC or something more portable, to be ready for something like this, I guess the Weber and SNS are always an option.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Shadetree sounds just like backyard. Ribs and chicken, and only ribs and chicken.

Sounds like fun! Good Luck. I am sure you will do well. I don’t want to Hijack your Thread but I have a question about Competition Ribs. How do you get them them to slice so nicely? When mine are Probe Tender they do not slice, they shred.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I think an extremely sharp knife, (non-serrated), would be a good place to start.

I have entered the Backyard division of the Silicon Valley KCBS Contest for a number of years now, it’s tri tip and chicken. We have a blast, even won 1st place tri tip once. Lots of great people. Have fun!

Comment

Good luck and have tons of fun. And if you have an Amazing Ribs shirt or t-shirt, don't forget to wear it...

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I will most likely be sporting the AR apron that you see in my avatar.

Represent brother!

Comment

Good luck Steve, win or lose it’s going to be fun.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          No question, it will be fun, we will see to it! My teammate is a less inhibited version of myself.

Steve R. Having cooked a half dozen KCBS, and joining KCBS, you will learn alot with your new hobby, having not cooked a backyard yet but want to, here are a couple tips. 1. trim your chicken in advance, at home, it's easier, and more relaxing at home, 2, If your using chicken thighs, try and cut them all the same size, and cut knuckle's off that stick out past the meat. some do not need knuckles cut off. just came back from a KCBS in Nashville this week end, (not faring so well) one of the judges comment's were, consistent size of my chicken. Take plenty of refreshing beverages, with you, have fun

Comment

I bet someone will take a pic of you and you're buddy holding the trophy so there will be at least one pic! Good luck and have fun!

Comment

I have done one competition and got my ass handed to me. It was amazing fun and the people i met were amazing and friendly. Mise it out, practice ahead of time, have time management skills ready, breathe and do what you do.

Comment

We need a team name for you, or you need a team name for us. Something like Buzzards Cook or Steve’s Munchies or ................. I’m running out of ideas. 🤔

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Four Seasonings (based on the name of our subdivision) and Can't Beat Our Meat are on the short list, but nothing set in stone just yet. 😀

• wu7y
                wu7y commented
                Editing a comment
                CBOM!! A wonderful team name! Go for it.

I think D-Dubs BBQ might be there Steve R.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Heck yeah, come on up and let's show them them how the Pit crew does it!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here