Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First KCBS Contest!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First KCBS Contest!

Every night since Saturday has been a "prep" night! Heading to Ridgeland, MS for "Jack Town Throw Down" on March 2-3.

Last night was pork butt prep. I severely remove fat, exposing as much muscle as possible for smoke and bark. The bone in one butt was split with fragments, so I took it out. I actually really like cooking boneless butts. The meat is cleaner looking for pulling to serve. Tim Sheer, Shake N Bake BBQ team has a video floating around FB that shows how he trims pork.

I bought 2 racks of Smithfield St. Louis Ribs for the contest too. I don't do anything to ribs until Friday at the contest.

This evening, I need to find chicken and trim that up. If I can find some nice white thighs, I think that's the direction I'll go for this one.

2 briskets set to arrive on Thursday, one for Jack Town and the other for next weekend, Nashville's Smoke on the Shores.

Good luck!

Comment

Wow! Sounds like a lot of work! I am sure you will do GREAT! We look forward to hearing about it! Good luck!

As another note, having dug into reading contest rules for the KCBS event here in Huntsville in May, I had been under the impression the meat had to be in the original packaging and labeling for the inspection. There was a lot of wording about not being preseasoned and so on other than manufacturer supplied injected/enhanced as shown on the package label. Which implied they had to see the meat in the original packaging? They come right out and say "original packaging" in the Shadetree/Amateur rules, but just imply that stuff about injection and so on in the professional rules.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank goodness it's legal to trim before the contest! I've done it at a contest, but it sure does eat up visit time.

Good luck!

Comment

You got this! Good luck!

Comment

Good Luck. Sounds like the start to another busy season.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            March for sure! I'm slacking back in April & May and putting in raised garden beds.

CandySueQ thanks for sharing. Do you trim around the money muscle to expose it and get more bark on it? I've seen some comp teams do this as part of their prep.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I do. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow before I rub it down.

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            That'd be awesome. Thanks and good luck!

Looking forward to your trophy pics!

Comment

Good Luck Candy! We are rooting for you. I am sure you will do great things.

Comment

Good luck CandySueQ ,may I ask what kind of brisket you use for comps? That is unless its top secret.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Last contest (IBCA in Monroe, LA), I cooked a Walmart half flat, wet aged for 6 weeks. I like those things. This weekend and next I have a Creekstone prime packer.

Great go kick some butt and remember that if you are not first, you are last! Or, second, or third...

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice lid in that avatar, Buddy!

Good luck and would love to see that trimmed pork butt. I'm leading the pork cook at our next contest and could use some help.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I can't post a direct link, but Gateway Drum Smokers has the boss trimming a butt on their Facebook page. Worth a look or two. If you need chicken trimming help, Luke Darnell, Old Virginia Smoke, has a great video on FB too.

Good luck! Have a great time and load up on the trophies this season!

Comment

Here’s trimmed Butts. One with bone, one without.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	F7246C32-9D3D-4A5A-87DB-17E071042908.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	461904
                Click image for larger version

Name:	BDB7FD4D-186F-42F6-812C-E774CC7B3054.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	461905

Comment

• T-bone
                  T-bone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

So how did you do?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here