Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King of the Smoker 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

King of the Smoker 2014

Went as a spectator to my first BBQ competition in La Quinta, CA. It was a 24-team invitational that included Jamie Geer and Johnny Trigg (I'm sure the others are great but those were the only guys I knew). I brought the family along but apparently we arrived too late and most of the samples were gone. There were a couple seminars at the booths but for the most part it looked like everyone was winding down. Kids were antsy, wife was hangry (we drove all the way for this??) Haha. We didn't stay too long, but it was cool to see the various smokers from WSMs to the Jambos and how the teams were setup. Bill Murray stopped by for some low-and-slow BBQ which was neat. Next competition I plan on getting there early!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	40811

Name:	IMG_0686.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	40812

Name:	IMG_0687.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	40813

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	40814

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	40815

Name:	IMG_0693.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	40817

Name:	IMG_0683.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	40816

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	40818

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this! I wonder if those fancy paint jobs make the food taste better...

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      All that fancy paint adds another layer of insulation to the cooker... : )

WAY Cool Bill M. and all.

Man you're right in that A-ron. They even paint their trash cans up fancy!

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pics - look at all of those barrel mods! Stacks for days!!!

BTW - Bill M. showed up at a football game at tiny little private school in here in Holly Hill, SC (Holly Hill Academy) back in September - turns out he has a grandchild that goes to HHA.

I met Bill at the first Riverdogs (Charleston's minor league baseball team affiliated with the NY "Stankees" - lol) game in the new ballpark downtown. He was and still is a part own in the team.

He seems like a very down to earth guy - plus he's got total consciousness on his death bed; so he's got that going for him. LOL
      Last edited by HC in SC; December 17, 2014, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice Caddyshack reference.

• HC in SC
        HC in SC commented
        Editing a comment
        I couldn't resist! LOL

KOS is a one-of-a-kind contest! The crowd is not even able to get to the cooking area until after 1:30 (brisket turn-in), then the demos start. Great information shared by the cooks for sure. I was lucky to be invited to judge it last year. Aiming high for 2015 -- I'd love to cook well enough to be invited to cook KOS!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here