Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some advice

Hello everyone. All the tips and tricks I've found here have been awesome. And the community is great too. To that end, I want to get some advice about competition cooking.

I'm relatively new to nuanced smoking/grilling/BBQing. Everything before was gas grill turned high, or tailgate grills with tons of lighter fluid-soaked briquettes incinerating brats and dogs. So I'm loving the flexibility that my kettle and SnS are giving me now.

I love to enter amateur cooking competitions. So far, I've won or placed in every contest I've entered. Multiple chili cook-offs, a best leftovers creation contest, and several "best side dish" or "Best snack/appetizer" at work pot lucks. These are all VERY low stakes competitions. But I find that I really enjoy it and my small-time success has me somewhat interested in maybe taking this a step further and looking in to some more local, but bigger time cooking competitions.

How does one go about a) getting in to this culture and 2) equipping oneself to compete? I'm definitely not looking to do anything (yet) that requires trailers and teams of 6 people. Just small time stuff, but bigger than church chili cook-offs and work competitions.

I'm in Dallas/Fort Worth area if anyone has any local suggestions, or is maybe participating in something soon, and I can come introduce myself and see how things work.

CandySueQ and Jon Solberg are go-to folks and I think smokinfatties , too.

Comment

Im by no means an expert. Ms. Candy, now there's an expert. That said...

Get into the cultur: start listening to the BBQ Central Show. Stand by for a link.

www.bbqcentralshow.com

You can get it on I-Tunes or Google Play Music, Stitcher, Juice Catcher. YouTube.

Equipment: You may already have what you need. I've heard you can pull it off with a WSM or two.

Find a cook: start looking at KCBS and ICBA websites for the events. Oh and the Tx Bbq Assos. I think.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 21, 2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Join KCBS. There you will find listings of contests. Look for the backyard contests to start at. These are amature events and you only cook ribs and chicken. The pro events you cook ribs,chicken,pork shoulder, and brisket.

Comment

Thanks everyone! That's the kind of stuff I wanted.

Comment

Also, check out http://www.ibcabbq.org. That's the largest Texas-based competition sanctioning group. Labor Day in Bedford, Texas is a great KCBS contest. Didn't hurt that Delbert and Buddy Guy were the headliners. Next year, it's on my list!

Comment

• Buck Flicks
              Buck Flicks commented
              Editing a comment
              I almost went that show because of Delbert at the Bedford Blues And Que, but had something else come up. Thanks!! Plenty of time to work on my techniques.

Good Luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here