Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing my first amateur BBQ comp this coming weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing my first amateur BBQ comp this coming weekend

Well, time to throw my hat in the ring and see what happens. Going to be a little tricky (timing wise) cause it's just an all-day cook, no overnight, with everything due at the end. Check-in between 5-6a, start cooking as soon as you're ready and cooking ends at 7:30p.

Meats: Butt, Ribs, Chicken (splitting) and a Specialty Item.
    Equipment: WSM 18.5 and a Weber Kettle 22.5. Also have a camp oven that I can use to hold stuff if needed.

Gonna have to crutch the Butts and then cambro. Been mapping out what needs to cook at what times, when to move for the next item, etc. I think I got everything down.

One good thing is that we can prep the meat before hand - huge help!

Sounds like you are ready, but if you list what you are doing here, some might have a suggestion or two. Is your specialty item going to be pizza on the grill?

Comment

Have fun!

Comment

You'd think it would be pizza , but I'm dong what I call Pork Fingers. Kinda like a modified chicken fingers. Cut up pork butt into about a two-bite size, marinate overnight and then grill them up, I'll add some apple or cherry chips for a little kiss of smoke.

Planning on doing all of the meats. Two Butts, four slabs of ribs and four whole chickens. Dry bring the Butts the night before, trim the ribs into SLC and dry brine, halve the chickens and dry brine (night before or day of??).

Comment

Gotta get the butts going asap, wrap at around 160 move to the bottom rack until done, then cambro.

Get the ribs going; cook for around three hours, wrap for about 1 - 1 1/2hrs, un-wrap and finish/re-firm bark. Might sauce them and then quick sear.

Might just do the chicken on the grill OR can move the ribs to the grill and hold, crank up the WSM to around 325 for the chicken.

Pork fingers can be done while ribs are cooking and then held covered with some moisture in the camp oven. That'll free up the grill to hold/maintain the ribs.

Comment

it really does sound like you have it figured out. just remember to have fun!

Comment

Have fun, and good luck.

Comment

It sounds like yer in fer a fun an' challengin' cook!
                Sendin' my best wishes yer way, an' Have Fun!!!

Comment

Good luck and enjoy

Comment

Just have fun!! Learning experience whether you're first or last place!!!

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Good luck! Most comps allow you to prep meats prior to the comp but not season them. Are you sure you can season them before hand like dry brining etc.?

Comment

• pizza67
                          pizza67 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well, I'm including the dry brine (just salting) in my definition of prepping. :-) I also know the guy putting on the cook. I'll double check though. The main thing they want is food safety, keeping it at temp before and after cooking.

Thanks everyone! I'll try to remember to take a bunch of pics, for posterity.

Comment

Good luck and have fun! Pics would be great if you can find the time.

Comment

pizza67, I hope you have as Much Fun as Eunice and I had at the 8th Annual Sweat & Sticky in Dickey ND Rib CookOff 8 July 2017 It was our 2nd Time, We placed in the "Thanks for Coming Category"!
                            More info can be found on FaceBook! Have a Ball!
                            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here