Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time difference for two 9lb butts instead of one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time difference for two 9lb butts instead of one?

Got my answer already. Thanks forum.

Any ideas for competition if I cook 2 butts instead of one, how much longer it will take? Is there a difference?
    Last edited by Fussin & Cussing; August 9, 2017, 01:17 PM. Reason: And I got my answer. Thanks ecowper that article is perfect.

Some of this is going to depend on what sort of cooker you use. An offset, for example, can have a heat shadow when cooking more than one hunk of meat. Any indirect cooker, actually, could have that problem.

that said, assuming you don't have a heat shadow type issue, and that there is ample spacing between the two pork butts to allow for good airflow ..... then, in theory, it should be the same cooking time as one pork butt. In theory.

Here's a good article on the topic by Meathead

What influences cooking time? So many variables, such as the total volume of meat in your cooker. Are you using rib racks to squeeze more meat into a small area? Beware. The meat is almost touching, and that could add up to an hour of cooking time. Here are more tips on cooking more than one hunk of meat at once.

Comment

• Fussin & Cussing
      Fussin & Cussing commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip on heat shadow. i do have an off set vertical.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad I could help!

Glad you got your answer. Let us know how it goes!

Comment

I am guessing a couple of hours, but as ecowper indicated the cooker is a variable too. I cook on a large BGE and a 10#ers one takes about 12 hours. I've cooked two before, but can't remember how long they took at 225, but 40#s took 21 hours.

Comment

About 9 lbs?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here