Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KCBS Competition Level Playing Field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KCBS Competition Level Playing Field?

I'm very interested to see what the BBQ competition folks thing about this.

Next weekend I'm judging a competition (called The Guinea Pig) in Cumming, Georgia (a very large event) where the cooks DRAW for pre-selected meat.

Yes, the cooks will draw for the pre-selected meat they cook.

What do yall think about this format?
    Last edited by TBoneJack; July 7, 2017, 07:46 PM.

Interesting concept. Let us know how it plays out!

Comment

I like the idea of a level playing field for SOME competitions. I am entering my 2nd comp soon and it does get expensive. Yet on the other hand can't knock the teams that do get sponsored because they were once where I was at now. Hard work and dedication got them where they are so why take that away from them. Maybe more smaller payout, meat provided events will discourage these guys from coming.

Comment

I'm gonna ask the KCBS reps what the cooks at the event think about it. It'll be interesting to hear what they think.

Comment

Yes it will. Curious what they say.

Comment

I think it'll test a true pitmaster, being able to be handed something and told "cook this".

Comment

Personally I think that all meat to be cooked should be provided (at cost of course) by the competition organizers. Let competitors have a choice between Select or Choice, I suppose, but Prime and better should be barred to level the playing field.

Comment

I know that at the Cumming Guinea Pig contest, the meat is top-notch. Snake River briskets, Smithfield pork and Springer Mountain chicken is what's in the coolers. Meat selection is totally random with teams drawing a number which corresponds to the cooler of meat. I'll bet that the entries on the judging table will be superb!

Comment

I think it's great! We have a guinea pig contest here in CA and everyone loves it. Again, its luck of the draw and you work with the hand you're dealt!

Comment

Cool updates. And although the more I think about it I likely will never be interested in competing, I do agree with that format and rationale wholeheartedly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here