Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shotgun Fred BBQ Showdown 2/26-2/28/2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shotgun Fred BBQ Showdown 2/26-2/28/2015

This is a KCBS sanctioned event, held in my hometown of Huntsville, Tx. They will have a CBJ class, and Kids Q, also. If any of y'all are in our area, it would be great to meet some of y'all. Guaranteed payout of $10,000, it pays out to the top ten in the four meats as well as top ten overall.

Fred went to school here, at SHSU, and wanted a KCBS cook off to be held here annually, to help keep a scholarship fund that he started for industrial tech students. I never had the chance to meet him, but I love listening to stories about him, from the guys on the organizers board that were very close to him. He must have been a hell of a man!

Thanks for the heads up.

See if a guy at work is interested.

Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampDonkeyzBBQ View Post
    This is a KCBS sanctioned event, held in my hometown of Huntsville, Tx. They will have a CBJ class, and Kids Q, also. If any of y'all are in our area, it would be great to meet some of y'all. Guaranteed payout of $10,000, it pays out to the top ten in the four meats as well as top ten overall.

Fred went to school here, at SHSU, and wanted a KCBS cook off to be held here annually, to help keep a scholarship fund that he started for industrial tech students. I never had the chance to meet him, but I love listening to stories about him, from the guys on the organizers board that were very close to him. He must have been a hell of a man!
    He was! The man was a Big Innovator! I'll never forget the first time I met him -- BBQ Guru hadn't be out long. He and BBQ Bob were hanging around a team with a giant kamato cooker making pepper poppers at the Jack. We visited about our respective businesses, pizza ovens, break down, fold up cookers, making charcoal from pellets. Over the years, I saw Fred often at trade and other events. I'm proud to call him a friend. He's one of many people in barbeque that have enriched everyone he touched, whether directly or through his many products. If I could wish one thing -- I wish that contest were held not the same time as Houston Livestock!

Comment

Bob will be back again this year. I really enjoy talking to him, and picking his brain. He's very willing to give tips, and gave me great advice on building boxes.

Comment

A HUGE THANKS to Texas State Representative Travis Clardy and his staff, David Qualls (our Grand Champion 2014 winner) and to Pam Hess "Jack Daniel's Team Coordinator"! We are now recognized as a Texas State Championship and a Jack Daniel's Qualifier!!

Comment

Very cool and congratulations!

Side note: in the 5 years I lived in Austin and the 5 I lived in Dallas, I never once thought about smoking because there is so much good, inexpensive barbecue to be had. But move forward 20 years later and I was missing Texas BBQ so much that I had to start. And it's the reason that I will, eventually, have a stick burner - just so I can say I did it the "authentic" way.

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd love to do a stick burner, not sure when I will though. By looking at the member list I should get a free one within the next 372 years...

Looks like we will have competitors from all over, again this year. We have teams from all over Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, and as far away as Japan.

Comment

I think it would be fun to cook in one. I have no real interest in doing a contest myself, since I can feed the only folks I have to please any time I want, but I think it would be cool to be a gopher and experience it all.

Comment

I'll have a CBJ on my team, this year, that's trying to get her Master Judge certification. I think it will be nice to have an extra set of hands. I love the 30 minute turn ins, but it does wear on you.

Comment

Congrats to Lucky Dawg BBQ on their Grand Championship win, and to Kosmos on their Reserve Grand Championship. Bob Trudnak's backyard rib and chicken class went GREAT! Thanks to all the people who helped make this a success, and thank you so much to ALL the teams who came out to support this event. We hope to see everyone return next year!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here