Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Money Muscle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money Muscle

And the perfect temp to cook competition money muscle is .... ?

Never competed but my guess would be 195 F- 198 F. Lots of yummy fat in there that renders earlier.

Comment

I have read SO many different temps researching this topic. From 145 (pork tenderloin) to 175. Everyone cooks at least 2 shoulders. 1 for pulled and 1 for money muscle. Haven't the slightest darn clue. Lol.. Thanks for the input stud.

Comment

CandySueQ

My guess would be around 190-195....only cause I've cooked them on the side to that with great results, for my mouth.

Comment

It's like brisket in the probe test. My general experience is 185ish. However, now that you can remove the money muscle for holding and cook the rest of the butt to pulling temp if you choose, you don't have to cook large amounts of pork for a contest. Last weekend, I purchased a heritage pork butt at The Flora Butcher. These Berkshire hogs are finished with milk and bread before slaughter. It was an amazing butt, about 15 pounds bone in. It was cut oddly with about half the money muscle gone. I knew I was going to be creative with the turn in box. I turned in chunks, some money muscle, some not. 10th place out of 34 teams.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	PK.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	300134

Comment

Thank you so much CandySueQ! Congradulations is well do. Great idea and thanks again for best temp. I will put that in my pork notes. Much appreciated.
            Last edited by BarBQ22; April 4, 2017, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here