Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twin Cities Mardi Gras Cookoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twin Cities Mardi Gras Cookoff

First contest is in the books! Went down to Monroe, LA last Friday for this IBCA and SCA event. There's a wonderful seafood market on the way where I picked up a couple of sacks of Louisiana oysters in the shell. I've been eating oysters since Friday! The SCA steak event was amazing! 61 entrants, which made it one of the biggest SCA events ever. I redeemed myself from my DAL in Fordyce, AR last year. Came in 37th even with making a rookie mistake with the Grill Grates. Turn my steak wrong and ended up with parallel lines not nice crosshatch. Oh, well, char-grilled oysters with butter and Cajun seasoning were wonderful!

I cooked this contest with a Gateway Drum and a 22" WSM. Everything was hot and fast. Kiss of death! I liked my food!

I made final table in brisket -- nothing on chicken and ribs. I'm rethinking my KCBS plans. Got the inverter replaced that burnt out on the way back from World Food Championship last year. I'm going to have to replace the marine battery. I've finally got the new fans installed in the Yoder Cimarron Pellet cooker. This should improve airflow. I'll do a test cook to check it out. I believe it would be smart to focus on one cooker and one cooker only! What do you think?

Got any good oyster recipes???

I've been thinking about entering a BBQ contest here in Michigan lately. Not because I think I'll win it, but because I think it would be fun and I could learn a lot. How long have you been competing CandySueQ ?

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      First contest in 2003 -- first SERIOUS contest in 2004!

Forgot photos!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CK.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	275540Click image for larger version

Name:	RB.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	275541Click image for larger version

Name:	BR.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	275542

Comment

Keep us posted on where you are cooking. I live in Dallas now and might be able to catch one of you competition. I sure miss the seafood I could get when I lived on the LA Gulf Coast. Transportion has mad it accessible in Dallas, but it isn't quite the same.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do! There's a good one in Bedford Labor Day weekend for the Blues Festival. I haven't made the schedule past April yet...

Congrats and the food pics look awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing you in Pensacola!

Comment

Good job CandySueQ !

Comment

Great job!

Comment

That Brisket and Chicken look like winners to me

Comment

Looks very good to me CS.

Comment

Congrats on your brisket success!!! Bummer about the ribs and chicken.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                  CandySueQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ain't no rhyme or reason to it, Spinaker! If I didn't enjoy the process, I sure wouldn't do it based on success.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Amen!! CandySueQ

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here