Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic Fail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epic Fail!

2nd contest in a row is in the books! It was my home town event and I started off by cooking 50 hot dogs and 60 burgers for cook teams and judges on Friday night. Loved doing it but I know that it put me off my cooking schedule. I went back to chicken thighs this weekend and tried a new rub. 12 place was not bad there.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	CK.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	222470
    9th place in ribs was a surprise, I thought they were dry.

Name:	RB.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	222471
    Pork, what a disaster! Started too early and too low. Bark was hard and tough and never did tender up.

Name:	PK.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	222472
    Brisket -- it's a mistake for me to cook 2. I had a Snake River Farms gold and a Walmart flat. Both were good, but there was a weird point hump in the Walmart flat, so I turned in the SRF. Mistake! The Walmart one was better.

Name:	BR.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	222473
    Next weekend -- doing it all again!

Beautiful!

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Judges didn't even give me good appearance scores. Probably will have the same d*?! judges this weekend too!

Walmart brisket was better? That doesn't say a whole lot for the boys at SRF. Especially when you consider the price!!! Those boxes look awesome. This is the part I would have the most trouble with. BBQ is supposed to be messy, it comes with the territory.

Comment

Looks great and mighty delicious! Hoping that next weekend yields higher placing for you!

Comment

Send that meat to me, and I guarantee a high mark.

Comment

I'm no "Professional Judge," or anything, but I'd damn sure offer my services as a taste tester...... Sadly, my feedback wouldn't be much good to you because I'm such a BBQ addict, I'd give top scores to a smoked nutria rat so long as it was done right........ Lol. Regardless, looks awesome, best of luck on your next competition!!!!!!

Comment

One test bite and I'd say more please and pass the napkins Wonderful looking food.

Comment

Why no pulled for the pork? Pork seems pretty forgiving to me when pulled and sauced. (But I don't do competition, so ...)

Comment

One word -- LAZY! Plus, I've actually won 1st with chunks. My box preference is below -- I call it pork 6 ways. Pulled is underneath. Those wonderful thin sliced white pork -- I use that for home made Muffalettas.

Name:	pk.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	222771

Comment

Wow, that's beautiful, CandySueQ . I'd eat that all day long.

Kathryn

Comment

• CandySueQ
                    CandySueQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks fzxdoc! I really am proud of this box. Quit doing it when a judge gave me a comment card with "less is more!"

Wow CandySueQ, I can't imagine better looking presentations. I'd volunteer to give any of those a try.

Comment

Well, l don't know, looks can be deceiving! But in this case, probably NOT! All l would really wish for would be just a little smell, ahhhhh!

Comment

That's the best looking epic fail ever!

Comment

CandySueQ , everything but the chicken seems a bit overwhelmed by the garnish... Just my eyeballs! Please take the afore mentioned feedback with a grain of salt.... I have no idea what I am talking about.

Comment

• CandySueQ
                          CandySueQ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Garnish isn't judged!

Keep cooking! You work hard and the results look outstanding!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here