Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first competition

Had our first KCBS competition on the weekend (BBQ On The Bow in Calgary, AB). We had very low expectations (I.e. Try not to finish last) and ended up doing pretty well, aside from brisket.

Pics attached but out of 35 teams we finished:
    31st Brisket
    14th Ribs
    12th Pork
    10th Chicken
    4th(!!) Chef's Choice - this was a 'cigar' chicken (a stuffed chicken though wrapped in wood, Cuban Rum sauce, and Edible Ashes made from rendered pork butt fat). This was a nod to a sponsor that runs a cigar shop.

17th Overall

Was a very fun experience, met lots of friendly folks, learned lots and were very happy with how we placed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-brisket.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	217906 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-ribs.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	217907 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-pork.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	217908 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-chicken.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	217909 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-chefs_choice.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	217910 Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-ribbon.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	217911 ​​​​​​​

Congratulations! Everything looks great, nice presentation.

Comment

Congratulations on a successful competition jabostick !

Comment

Nice looking food!!

Did you trim your brisket flat on the sides to get uniform slices?

Comment

• jabostick
          jabostick commented
          Editing a comment
          I was just trying to go against the grain but I should've ditched those two smaller ones to help even things out. My presentation marks were pretty good, though (9s and 8s). 8s and 7s on tenderness and then 7s on taste. My burnt ends weren't as good as the first time I did them.

• jabostick
          jabostick commented
          Editing a comment
          In any case, I've struggled with brisket in the past and this is the best looking flat I've done, so it was a PB for me. I'd love to blame the judges but it looks like bbqoaf was at my table and he (rightfully so, by his pictures) had a good score.

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          jabostick thanks, your entries look great and your chicken was really tasty.

We turned in slices of point along with our burnt ends, I think that was the best brisket I have ever made.

Great job ... congrats!

Comment

Congrats - I'd be very happy with those finishes.

Comment

You did really well, nice work, we placed 27th overall. 16th brisket, 24th ribs, 28th chicken and 30th pork. 8th in chefs choice though.

That was really fun, I'm looking forward to next year.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
              Powersmoke_80 commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice job sounds like you guys were that at the same event, cool!

That is great!!! Did you have fun?

Your food looks great. You obviously practiced, and it paid off. Nice work

Comment

• jabostick
              jabostick commented
              Editing a comment
              We had a blast! A little too much fun overnight, maybe, as turn-in day was a struggle to get through haha. We found everyone super-friendly. It's a cool little community

Not bad at all!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here