Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for a first-timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for a first-timer

Hi everyone, I asked Meathead this question on Twitter and he cryo-vacced me and shipped me here to get a more meaty response.

A couple of friends and I just entered into our first BBQ competition and I am curious what everyone's advice would be for a first-timer. Our expectations are where they should be (very low) and it's mostly to have some fun and learn some new tricks. But would love to hear what advice everyone has (whether it be food-related or 'logistics', etc).

We have a logo and team name (first thing's first!) but anything else is welcome

Thanks, Jason

(Note: This may have been asked alrerady so I'll hit up the search bar but would still welcome any tips).

Main thing have fun
    best prep is do a few full practice runs
    with turn in boxes and everything
    if you make all of your turn ins on time and have fun
    its a win
    be friendly most bbq comp guys are great to hang with
    good luck

Comment

jabostick, Just what Thom Emery Said! 👍👍👍👍👍. I entered my first Rib Cook Off a few Weeks Ago! A Charity affair by a Small Town called Dickey in South Central ND! Total Population of 50 People in the Town, 32 Cookers Showed Up and $7000.00 was raised for Hospice! I didn't Win, Show or Place, 18th out of 33, but Eunice and I had more Damned Fun than should be legal
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        But you your #1 at home, right?

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        fuzzydaddy, I have owned Eunice for 45 Yrs on Aug 19, I think I will abstain from further Comment!
        From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

From a non-competition smoker, have fun and enjoy yourselves while doing your best.

Comment

Yes, you want to have fun, but to have fun, you don't want to screw up so bad that you're bummed out. That means prepare.

Rehearse. You MUST do at least one complete dress-rehearsal against the clock with all meats to make sure everyone knows what his/her job is and when. If this means sleeping on cots in your back yard, then do it.

Type out a schedule for every team member, including sleep time. Then serve the rehearsal meat to friends and family and ask them to judge harshly. Get detailed critiques from them. If you know some, ask KCBS judges to taster your rehearsal meats.

Go online and look at turn-in boxes. There are some here in the pit I'm sure. Maybe some of the competitors can point you to websites that show them.

Make a checklist of everything you could possibly need at a competition so you don't forget something. I have seen such checklists online.

Don't shig. It's ok to visit your neighbors, but make it clear you are not there to see what they are doing and steal ideas.

Bring drinks and share with the neighbors. Some of the best cooks even cook breakfast for themselves and the neighbors.

Listen to Greg Rempe's round table in the PitCast. Read this by Rempe http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...n_chicken.html

Now a pet peeve question, why in heck would you ask this on Twitter with room for 140 characters and only I see it?

Comment

Here is an article by George Hensler that he gave me permission to reproduce:

What do expect (or not) when cooking your first BBQ contest

George Hensler

So, you have finally went and done it. You have been thinking about it for a while, you've talked to your friends and family for months and months, done your research and finally pulled the trigger to sign up to cook your very first contest. Now, what is that feeling in the pit of your stomach? It is OK to be a bit apprehensive, most folks in your shoes had the very same thoughts and feelings their first time, relax, with a little preparation and planning and you'll be fine, especially if you know a few things to expect.

Helpful support staff- Upon arriving and during the check in process you're sure to encounter the contest organizers and contest reps along with numerous volunteer staff. Most times these folks are more than helpful and even very glad to see you. It is a good idea to let them know that this is your first contest right out of the gate, this way if they have specific information you may need, most times they will be sure you are well informed.

During the scheduled cooks meeting, the speaker may ask the assembled cooks to give a show of hands if cooking their first event; many times this call will be accompanied by a round of applause from the more experienced competitors. At a KCBS sanctioned contest, a DVD is often available to be viewed by the new contest cooks along with photographs of turn-in boxes to be pursued in case you'd like to see what others have submitted in the past. Take some time and take a look.

You will find that the reps and organizers will be very helpful in answering questions that may arise. I have even seen where they will stop in to visit with the newbies throughout the event just to see how things are going and answer any questions that might pop up, again, you shouldn't be on your own left to guess at answers, and that is a good thing.

Friendly and supportive competitors- Don't be shy, if they haven't already stopped in to see you, introduce yourself to your neighbors, let them know this is your first time. Even though they are there to cook a contest, BBQ folks are a super friendly bunch. If you have forgotten something or need a hand, many times you don't have to go far. I have seen examples of seasoned teams inviting a first time team into their site for tips on cooking, meat prep and box building. Certainly, you shouldn't expect this type of thing, but rest assured, it can and does happen.

One helpful suggestion, pay attention to what is going on in your neighbors site before entering, if it appears they are in the middle of something important, perhaps you should wait a bit before visiting. At the very least, inquire if it is a good time to chat, if they're busy, they'll let you know, and they will appreciate the courtesy.

Have a good time- Cooking a contest is a lot of work but can also be a lot of fun. In my humble opinion, you should expect to enjoy yourself, have some fun and lighten up. If you are not enjoying the experience, why are you doing it? Now, I am not talking about a nonstop laugh fest or 48 hour tailgate party be held. What I am is indicating the need to relax a bit. There is a time to be serious and focus but there is also time for relaxation, it is important to be sure to blend both together to maximize the experience.

In the interest of full disclosure, it is probably prudent to also mention a few things that one should not expect when cooking their first contest:

The sun to shine the entire time and the weather to be ideal- Contests are held outside, the weather is a factor, preparation and planning are the keys here.

Free cooking lessons- So, you are cited next to the hottest team on the circuit, it appears you have a clear view of their prep table and could watch everything they do, here is some sound advice, don't. (It is best to assign someone else from your team to watch and take notes as you will be busy preparing your own entry) You know I am just kidding here but the point is, please don't gawk and stare, (and make sure your team mates don't either) if you have a procedural question, why not just ask? Most teams will be more than glad to point you in the right direction.

A barbecue smorgasbord- You are at a barbecue contest, 50 teams are cooking their entries and there should be more than enough to you to sample right? Wrong. Many teams don't mind sharing their contest submissions with neighbors but it is best to wait for in invite instead of walking in and helping yourself, again, just use common sense.

Cooking in your first barbecue contest is a lot of fun; you will meet some very nice folks, some of which you will eventually call friends. Just a word of caution if you are thinking about taking the plunge, competition cooking can be highly addictive, remember, you have been warned!

Comment

Awesome info! Thanks everyone.

Comment

Competition BBQ Supply Checklist is a helpful resource - so you have everything you need at your competition bbq contests.

Comment

• jharner
                jharner commented
                Editing a comment
                Love Malcom's site

That's great Thom! Good find.

Comment

Don't take more stuff than you'll use! It gets in the way and you have to repack it to go home.

Trim your meat at home. Mix up your other "stuff" and have it ready. Sauces, injections and brines is what I mean!

Good advice in the message above!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here