Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Rub Shakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Rub Shakers

Going to Hudson Valley Ribfest in 2 weeks. Looking to get some new BBQ Rub Shakers to use at the comp. I have the shakers that rubs come in and assorted others. Are there any good stainless steel, clear plastic bbq rub shakers that are recommended?

I just used the Tone's spice container when I empty one. Works perfect

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto, it's also great cause I store my spices in the freezer and when I'm done, I just snap the lid closed and throw it back in the freezer.

I can't recommend any, but a quick search for cheese shakers on Amazon brought up tons of shakers with reviews.

Comment

Cornucopia brand stainles steel dry rub shaker, 5.5" tall three hole sizes
      Prodacostore.com
      $8.99
      5*****

Comment

I love these Fox Run shakers because the holes are big enough to let some of the chubbier spices out of the gate:

Click image for larger version  Name:	41GB7QdkIiL.jpg Views:	1 Size:	19.4 KB ID:	205100

Plus they have plastic snap-on lids that keep the rub fresher between cooks.

Kathryn

Comment

• billg71
          billg71 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the same ones I settled on except I bought the 4" version. They're really well made and you don't have to fool with sealing them with wax paper or plastic wrap for storage. And they don't have sharp edges.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
        I love these Fox Run shakers because the holes are big enough to let some of the chubbier spices out of the gate:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n205100[/ATTACH]

Plus they have plastic snap-on lids that keep the rub fresher between cooks.

Kathryn
        Thanks looks great!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Comment

I bought a couple of these at a Dollar Tree store for $1.00 each and will hold just over a cup, and the only issue I've had is that a few larger clumps in my MMD won't pass thru so when I'm done shaking on a pork butt or ribs I remove the lid and pour them out. I do like the ones that fzxdoc and billg71 mentioned above because they come with lids.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6972.jpg
Views:	2886
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	205440

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6973.jpg
Views:	2935
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	205441

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            fuzzydaddy , when Iake MMD, after I get it mixed, I pour it into a wire strain and shake it through into a bowl. Anything that doesnt pass through I pour into my spice grinder and pulverize it and then add it back in.

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            I usually don't have much but that's a great tip Dewesq55. Thank-you.

• billg71
            billg71 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great tip, thanks!

Originally posted by cstrfd4 View Post
          Cornucopia brand stainles steel dry rub shaker, 5.5" tall three hole sizes
          Prodacostore.com
          $8.99
          5*****
          Thanks looks good!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Comment

Here's a relatively low cost option without having to worry about corrosion.

BTW, in rubs where there is diversity in particle size of ingredients and the option given above by Dewesq55 isn't feasible or desirable, to avoid uneven delivery of different ingredients due to particle size variation, dividing the ingredients of the rub between two or more shakers of different hole sizes based on particle size of the ingredients could be an option. For example, if you wanted to keep your black pepper coarse and other ingredients fine, that might be the way to go.

Sorry for the run on sentence.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              No sentence should have unnecessary words; No paragraph should have unnecessary sentences; No drawing should have unnecessary lines; No machine should have unnecessary parts. NONE of that crap matters on a forum and everything you included was necessary. 99% of what I do is a "run of unnecessary."

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL. Thanks, Jerod.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here