Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Go Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go Pro

For the last four years one of my best friends and I have entered one local competition here in Pensacola (http://www.smokininthesquare.com) in the Backyard division. I was in charge of chicken and my buddy did ribs. After years of mediocre finishes and no finishes above 5th finish, we decided to do the only thing we could think of doing.....entering the pro division. Ugh. So here we go. My teammate gets the easy meats, ribs and pork, and I'm lucky enough to try not to annihilate chicken and brisket. I've done boneless breasts removing the fat off the skin, I've done with the fat on, and I've even done brined bone-in Cornish hen breast. None finished higher than the top 50%. This year I'm trying something new this year....lollipop chicken legs....and the test runs have been very well received. Brisket is the centerpiece of my nightmares now. I have until March to get this down. Fingers crossed.

I was waiting for a go pro video of a cook or something. Good luck, I have the same issue with chicken, though mine comes out more like tofurkey.

Comment

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jlock are you going to be in the Smokin at the Square this year? The DW and I were plannng to go. Not to cook but to eat, drink, and watch. How can I find you? I am in Crestview about 40 miles away by I-10.

Best of luck jLock. Keep up posted.

Comment

Have fun and like Jon said, "Keep up posted." Course I'd rather you keep US posted.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        man I hope the site upgrades include desktop view for mobile. : )

at least then I can zoom hehehehehe

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        It does for me, but I think I remember you have iOS?

I am competing in my first competition in November. I am also doing chicken legs. Am using the recipe from CandySueQ. See this link: http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...ut-even-trying

Comment

I compete against my imaginary friend. I win every time.

Comment

I like that friend! Me and the team (myself and I) have many detailed discussions at competitions...

Smokin' on the Square in Pensacola is one of my favorite events! I've cooked it every year except for #2 (had to be at some trade show for business). Never ever even gotten a call there. It's usually the first comp of the year for me and I guess I'm just rusty. I go for Joe Patti -- give all my bbq away and have a full cooler of seafood for the freezer.

Come by and say hi next year!

Comment

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            Candy Sue, I sure will this is about 40 miles from me. First I have heard of it. Of course I have not been looking very long. My family on mothers side came from P.cola one of the first doctors in the town.

• Guy
            Guy commented
            Editing a comment
            Just looked up the Smoking in the Square and printed the flyer. The DW and I will be going for day trip. Candy Sue so sorry you can't make it this year. But if you come next year I will be there to help you clean up. LOL

When I saw 'Go Pro' I thought maybe you were going to open a BBQ joint

Comment

Well here I am, T-minus 10 days until my first pro entry in a KCBS event and I'm about as ready as I'm going to be. I have had my prime brisket wet-aging for what will be about 35 days. Just did my last dress rehearsal this past weekend with great results in both flavor as well as timing. I'm cleaning up the gear, going over the checklist now, and getting ready to stage what we're going to need for next weekend. Looking forward to a fun time!

Comment

Awesome, using the WSM?

Comment

Thanks John. I'll be sporting the 21.5" WSM as well as a Weber Kettle with a Smokenator and my home made, aptly named 'Frankenpan' (a piece of sheet metal that I cut and sized to fit perfectly in the remaining space of the cook-top so as to not cover up the Smokenator). The Frakenpan is double lined in aluminum foil and used as my vessel to do the first step on my chicken cook.

Comment

@ Guy (sorry....my message board skills suck so I have no idea how to imbed a response within a post). I will be there at SITS. We show up early Friday to set up. Not sure where we'll be but I requested from the organizer to be at the southwest corner across from the Brewery. I hoped as a 5th year competitor in P'cola I might get to choose but without a six-figure $$ big rig I might not pull as much weight. But come find us. We are the aptly named No Clue BBQ Krewe

Comment

Best of luck to you!

Comment

• Jlock
                      Jlock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks CandySue. Will you be joining us on the Redneck Riviera this year's SITS?

Well we survived...barely. Never got a call but for only doing one competition a year and this being the first time going into the pro division we weren't expecting much. It was a learning experience for sure. I was happy that my chicken did come in one spot ahead of Byron Chism (buttrub.com)...not that I have anything against Byron, it's just cool when you score higher than one of the teams with a reputation for winning.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here