Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to my first KCBS event, (as a spectator).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to my first KCBS event, (as a spectator).

There's a KCBS competition in Richmond in 3 weeks and I'm planning on attending. I've never been to one and have no idea what to expect, so I'm looking for some tips on what to expect and do while there.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Will there be samples. If so free of for a contribution?
    What type of vendors?
    Will there be any factory reps for any equipment or accessories?
    How about "how to" talks by pitmasters?
    Are adult beverages normally available?
    Will there be any equipment deals there? But I really don't need anything anyway...

And I wish I had a shirt that said something like "Want to learn to smoke meat better? Visit AMAZINGRIBS.COM"

RonB The KCBS I went to in Minnesota (Minnesota in May) I am sorry to say, was a disappointment. However we are a BBQ deprived area. No vendors, factory reps or beer. Some of the Pitmasters were cool and willing to talk, some offered you food too. At the same time some pit masters were trying to be all secretive about what they were doing. Which is fine, I guess. But it was a little off putting.

Now this was in Minnesota. I imagine in VA you will have much more of a true experience. The Minnesota scene has a lot of growing to do before it becomes an actual event to attend and not be competing.

Comment

Get you a shirt made that has the following on the front and back:

"Don't Mind Me I'm Just Shigging."

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh you know me, Shigging away. I understand, I was just looking for more of a open atmosphere. We were some of the few spectators at this one.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I had to look up "shigging"...

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto, RonB ! Now that I understand what I read, it is hysterical! KUDOS. @jerodbroussard !

Totally depends on the event and if it is tied in with any other event like a fair, wine sampling, etc...

Samples: I have been to events where there is taster's choice. Typically one category like pulled pork and it there was a fee to be a taster but you got a tray full of little cups full of pulled pork. Not guaranteed though.

Vendors: Again depends on event. Sometimes there will be novelty guys setup selling customized bbq shirts, aprons, and other things of the sorts. A buddy of mine goes and sets up an Operation BBQ Relief tent at some of the larger ones in our area. I did enjoy one I went to that had local wineries there doing tastings.

Factory/Accessory reps: Unless there is a local factory or accessory company nearby or that is sponsoring it. Then I wouldn't count on it

Talking w/ Pitmasters: Keep in mind that most KCBS events have turn in times starting at 12:00 noon and going through 1:30. The closer you get to these times then the less likely they will be willing to talk to you for obvious reasons. Some pit masters are willing to talk with you and others may not be as forthcoming (maybe a rookie or maybe just secretive or maybe just not a people person).

Adult Beverages: Totally depends on the venue... If you are concerned then you may want to pack a cooler and be willing to go back to your vehicle to drink. One of the ones I like to go to, as I mentioned before, has wine sampling, a beer garden, and some local vendors with trinkets and what not. It is kind of a festival so there is entertainment and everything else going on as well.

Equipment deals: Don't count on it unless... Someone is selling their rig or you meet a team who also is a manufacturer and maybe they will cut you a deal.

Comps are fun but temper your expectations. Some comps and the events they are tied to are a lot more fun than others. Go with an open mind and remember that not everything you see there will be how we do it in our backyards...

Hopefully CandySueQ will jump in and give you some more insight and correct anything I messed up.

Comment

Thanx for the info everyone.
        So what I'm getting from everyone is that this is not going to be a spectator event. I am still going, but I won't plan on spending as much time. Maybe I'll just take a few photos to share here....

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Smoker photos gallore!! Thanks in advance.

More on shigging, " If you are looking, you are'nt cooking".
        It sounds like you may not know what to expect. Keep an open mind & enjoy for whatever it's worth.
        Ditto on smoker pics.
        Last edited by FireMan; July 24, 2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

There is a competition going to be in our area the first weekend of August. In conjunction with the event they are also having a Big Green Egg Egg Fest. $20/person to attend which includes samples, door prizes and if you're in the market for a new egg you can buy one that was used in the competition.

Comment

I love Egg Fests! Lots of fun and a great way to snag a cheaper than normal BGE. The Pit is the Best way to get BBQ information! Contests are hit and miss for all the reasons mentioned above. With one exception, King of the Smoker in Coachella, CA. That contest, after brisket turn in the pitmasters (some of the best in the country) do a 20 minute lecture on a specific topic. It's well worth the ticket price.

Comment

Did ya have fun ?

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                No...

But then it's still two weeks off.

Ok 😃 Enjoy

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here