Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KCBS 2016 Sam's Club National BBQ Tour - Marietta, GA Regional Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KCBS 2016 Sam's Club National BBQ Tour - Marietta, GA Regional Pictures

I went to the Marietta, GA regional event today of the KCBS Sam's Club tour. The last two times the event came to town, I couldn't get anybody to go with me so I didn't go. This year, I still couldn't get anyone to go, but I decided the heck with it to go alone. I'm glad I did because I had a great time!

These events are open to the public to attend for free, and they have demonstrations, free samples, and giveaways from Smithfield Foods. They didn't skimp on the free samples either. I had 3 meaty pork ribs, multiple samplings of brisket, tri tip steaks pieces, chicken pieces, and at least 4 lollipop lamb chops.

Just eyeballing the different smokers was more fun on top of it all. There were 30 competitors in all from across the southeast, and a lot of cool looking rigs. What I thought was interesting, there was only 1 team that used ceramic kamodos and that The University of Que using a pair of Primos.

I took pictures of some of the smokers, and attaching them here. I didn't take any of the food because I was too busy eating!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DJ DeSpain; July 2, 2016, 09:57 PM.

Big money there. Anyone cooking on a couple kettles with Slow 'N Sears?

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
      DJ DeSpain commented
      Editing a comment
      No, it was mostly the big rig smokers there. No kettles, and only the one team with Primos.

Boat load of Ole Hickorys in that first pic!

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
      DJ DeSpain commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, one of the reasons I took that pic. Kind of overkill there to bring that many.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      DJ DeSpain pretty blue Cambro's to boot.

Jambo, Gateway, Ole Hickory, Smoke Hollow, Primo, 270, and a few others I couldn't tell... one looked like a Humphrey's or a Backwoods maybe but not sure... Anyway you got to see some good looking quality pits in action... Did you have a favorite and get to pick the brains of some of the teams?

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
      DJ DeSpain commented
      Editing a comment
      I spent a couple of hours walking around, just talking to the people sitting close by. The general consensus was they started off small, got hooked, spent money, and here they are. Anytime I mentioned AmazingRibs, yep, they know it or on it.

In one of the pics I attached, the orange smoker from Smoke Me Silly came in second overall.

Comment

It's great that you went and thanks for the photos. I've yet to go to a competition event but I hope to once I'm spending more time at my Florida house. The only time I've eaten someone else's bbq in a very long time was at Big Bob Gibson in Alabama and I had their chicken wings with their habanero red sauce. Yummy.

Comment

Thanx for posting this DJ DeSpain . This event is coming to Richmond in August, and I'm going...
        Last edited by RonB; July 3, 2016, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the photos! I competed at the qualifier for that event that was held in Southaven, MS. Pretty sad that NONE of the competing western area teams did well. University of Q was RGC where I was and Victory Lane was GC.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here