Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Spring Contest for Me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Spring Contest for Me!

It's been a perilous spring for me competition cooking-wise! Losing the fire box door off my pit on my way down to Hammond, LA the end of March led to me scrambling for a cooker. The next weekend, I tapped Killer Hogs trailer in Jackson, TN. Didn't hurt his trailer (didn't even throw him off his game!), but it destroyed my RV awning. RV went to repairs.

Next contest was right down the road, but no RV meant cooking under a canopy. Stuttgart, AR was miserable weather, 6+ inches of rain with 40 mph wind gusts. Cooking was a struggle!

The next event was a Sam's Club contest in Southaven, MS. I did have the RV back (after 5 weeks in repair), but it still has issues. Southaven was 29 top tier teams. There was a 50 point spread from GC to DAL! I came in 2nd to DAL, 40 points behind Victory Lane BBQ as GC. Tough contest, all the judges were masters.

Last weekend was the IBCA event in Delight, AR. I love this contest! Proud of my 3rd place call in brisket!

Coming up is Delta Smoke at Wynne, AR. I'm back to cooking on the Woodmaster Minihog with only one burner working. I used it in Jackson, TN with good results (7th pork, 9th brisket). The organizer at Delta Smoke was my neighbor in Stuttgart. He talked me into doing on-site cocktails tomorrow night. It's 2 waves of 3 judges each, you mix your drink and give your presentation. It should be fun! My cocktail is below:

180 Lemonade Soda

This is classic Lynchburg Lemonade!

1 part Jack Daniel's
    1 part Triple Sec
    1 part sour mix (I make it from scratch! 1 cup simple syrup, 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice)
    1 scoop Lemon Ice Cream (this is my own recipe, it's the 180 part of the title -- got a perfect score in Dessert in 2006 in Shannon, IL)
    Sprite soda over the top.
    All ingredients need to be chilled!

Serve with a straw. It truly does taste just like lemonade, but it's got a serious kick.

Sounds like you are due for some favorable conditions! Good luck!

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

The road is hitting you hard... just hang in there and i have a feeling things will turn around for you! the old advice is still the best... when you are going through hell, keep going!

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      You are so right!

I need to make me some of that lemonade!

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll post the Lemon Ice Cream recipe too. It takes Lynchburg Lemonade up a notch!

You're a fighter CandySueQ good luck and wish you a big success

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! I'm actually looking forward to a break from comp cooking.

Sounds like it has been an interesting spring. I wish you were competing a little closer to Indiana so I could stop by and say hi. Best of luck on your comp this weekend!

What did Malcom say when you "tapped" their trailer?

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Malcom is unflappable! A truly amazing cook. He'll be my neighbor this weekend.

• Nate
      Nate commented
      Editing a comment
      CandySueQ , he seems pretty awesome from his videos. I like watching them and would like to meet him sometime. Wish we would do a pit interview with him.

Good Luck. I totally hear ya on the general issues. Sounds like you have done well despite the challenges!

Comment

Do you guys ever come to Texas for any events? I would love to go to one and find out what Comp Brisket, Ribs and Especially pulled pork taste like!! (Most likely down Austin way I would guess which is just to far away )

Comment

I've cooked the KCBS contest in Bedford on Labor Day weekend. Not planning it for this year though. Check out ibcabbq.org and look for contests in your area! Texas rules you don't have to "certify" to judge, so if you get there early on Saturday, you may get a seat to judge one of the categories.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here