Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Limping Home...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limping Home...

No fooling, April 1st was a BAD Day! Started off innocently enough, hooked up the half-fired Woodmaster Minihog to go cook the contest in Jackson, TN. The Blues Hog BBQ and Music Festival is in its second year and it's the Blues Hog BBQ Sauce signature event. Bill Arnold himself was there for the awards!

I had to work half a day, but I took off down the highway promptly at noon. Had to stop at Food Giant in Forest City, AR for pork butts. Everything was running smoothly.

Arrived at the contest location (in the middle of town on a busy street) about 4 pm. I pulled over as far as I could next to Killer Hogs to wait for the team placement guy. When I moved to go to my spot, I crashed right into Killer Hogs trailer. They have a crank up flap that covers the back porch. That's what got me. Took the front side of the awning out, I mean dangling arms out! I'm still in a busy street -- this isn't good. Grabbed some bungies and tied the dangling arms kinda out of the way and followed the man in the golf cart to where I was to be. But I was shaken -- not a great way to start a contest.

With the help of Milton Collins, The Algood Bar-B-Q Pit Crew, the awning was gorilla taped and zip corded to a stable position and I pulled the fuse so the motor (such as was left) wouldn't get triggered. Moved the Minihog into cooking position and pulled out the 22" WSM. I was as ready as I could be.

There was a dessert contest on Friday evening. I'd made Blues Hog Peanut Patties, which were an interesting spin on Blues Hog original sauce. DAL was my placement, but I'd made to share with the owners of Blues Hog, Tim and Terri Sheer of Gateway Drum Smokers. They'd been my neighbors at the HPBexpo in New Orleans the week prior.

The Minihog performed well with only one burner! After all the dust settled, I walked away with 7th in Pork and 9th in Brisket! My timing was off on chicken and ribs (should have used the WSM!), so nothing there. Milt won dessert with a banana pudding!

I really did limp home watching the awning as I travelled. The rear view camera died on the way as well. Last weekend, it went to the RV Dealer for repairs. Next contest -- Stuttgart, AR, which is very close to home. Likely I'll be under an awning and maybe cooking on the Jambo with wood, not pellets.

oh noes! remember, it's not how you fall, it's how you get back up! you are going to kill it in Stuttgart!

Comment

I've got awning on the mind! I meant EZ up! It's all good though. I may have bit off more RV than I can handle...

Comment

Sorry to here you had trouble, why not pellets in the Jambo any more?

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Another sad tale! Weekend before Jackson was Hammond, LA. Lost the door to the firebox and smashed the pellet fire works. I cooked the contest on a borrowed Yoder 640 and the 22" WSM. Good news! I was so impressed with the Yoder that they are building a 1500 on a trailer for me!

Sorry to hear of your problems, but congratulations on your 7th in pork and 9th in brisket.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

i'm going to try and not stand too close to you incase there are any comets that might fly by (at this rate you're likely to get hit)

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Good plan!

CandySueQ. I know the Yoder 640 and 1500 use different types of heat diffuser plates. After your discussions with the Yoder folks, do you expect a significant difference in the flavor profile between the two? I am guessing the 1500 will be closer to a stick burner.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          No, I really don't expect much difference. The pellet Jambo was still using pellets and I wouldn't say it was closer to a stick burner.

@Candy Sue, It sounds to me that your Q is good to Excellant, It's just your Equipment Operation Techniques that need a little Tune Up! I believe we are all in need of the Same! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking that I need driving lessons on handling a Class C RV -- I seemed to do just fine in a B. The C is just too big.

• Powersmoke_80
          Powersmoke_80 commented
          Editing a comment
          CandySueQ Class C motor home is Kinda like driving a house isn't it? You need a diesel pickup with a toy haler fifth wheel and you can pull a cooker behind that.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Been there done that! Not with a fifth wheel, but with a Duramax and 22' long trailer. Meathead actually helped me at a contest in Shannon, IL when I was running that rig. I confess -- I am challenged backing up a trailer!

CandySueQ , my hat's off to you for even getting into the competition circuit. Backyard and occasionally church cooks are enough for me.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I've been doing this since 2003 -- I think I will back off it some. I do enjoy the people and the challenge of it. And the travel too.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          I've heard the same from people who travel the chili cook off circuit.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here