Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Really BIG Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Really BIG Brisket

I trimmed out the 20.4 lb. Snake River Farms Gold brisket last night.

After all was done, there was 10 lbs. of fat in the sink! Beautiful Beef remaining -- I hope I cook it worthily!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BRprep1.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	146794 Click image for larger version

Name:	BRprep2.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	146795 Click image for larger version

Name:	BRprep3.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	146796 Click image for larger version

Name:	BRprep4.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	146797 Click image for larger version

Name:	BRprep5.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	146798

THAT is a nice brisket! What weight range brisket had you ordered?

Comment

That is some beautiful fat striations in the flat.

I had a 19.95 pounder from wal-mart that was 10 pounds after trimming. I try to get them under 15 because that "flare of fat" to the fat cap seems to grow exponentially as you go above that weight.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        True dat! Main difference I see between Walmart choice and Waygu is the texture of the fat. Waygu has more intra-muscular and the big fat is "flakier."

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. I know the brisket area has the highest amount of unsaturated fat on the cow. Wonder if the unsaturated stuff is flakier.
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 10, 2016, 10:23 AM.

SRF has changed their weight ranges! I ordered a Gold (this one) and a regular Waygu at the same time during a discount time and got the largest available. Now the range is 20+. The regular Waygu is in the freezer until 3/21 (for Hammond, LA contest). Even frozen, the difference in marbling between the Gold and regular is evident.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Tuffy said in the video he goes for the biggest he can get to have really thick flat slices.

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I look for the thickest flat I can find on any flexible brisket!

Man, it's nice to see someone else who just logically thinks it makes sense to separate the flat and the point.

And, 10lbs of fat, that is good to know. I had a 14.8lb brisket from SRF, trimmed it was about 9lbs. I'm not ordering soon because I have one still in the freezer, but I'll plan accordingly.
      Last edited by Mosca; March 10, 2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I got tired of trying to do it during the cooking process! Hot brisket be hard to handle!!!

• 997cab
        997cab commented
        Editing a comment
        On my last 3 brisket cooks I separated the point & flat. This way you have more bark.

What is the lead time on ordering briskets. How long does it take to arrive after you order them online? CandySueQ Huskee Mosca David Parrish

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        What is the lead time on ordering briskets. How long does it take to arrive after you order them online? CandySueQ Huskee Mosca David Parrish
        When you order, they offer shipping dates. they only ship on M/T/W/Th, and standard shipping orders are only sent out on M/T. Those arrive on Thurs or Fri. Even in the middle of summer, my orders have arrived rock solid like an ice hammer.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/custo...hipping_policy

Comment

Gosh I'd hate to pay the big bucks for SRF super-primo brisket only to cut away half of the investment in fat. I guess that's part of the deal, though.

CandySueQ , I hope the two you have turn out to win big awards for you. Best of luck!

Kathryn

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats what i was thinking too. When I trim a prime brisket its the same way, but they are only $50 compared too $200+ fzxdoc

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
          Mosca answered you very well... but a couple extra tidbits- you can pick your delivery date in the more distant future too, then you don't have to have freezer space for a future cook, or pick next closest available Th/Fri dates, and if you want to pay for it you can get overnight....but pay you will!
          Last edited by Huskee; March 11, 2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm.....20 lb brisket minus 10 lb of fat equal to 10 lb brisket. Do they charge by weight?

Comment

Someone really needs to start up a "professionally trimmed" line of brisket sales. I could see spending high dollar for one that's trimmed to 1/4" fat cap and ready to go, but it's hard to justify it with all the time & waste that's mandated now.

Comment

• DJ DeSpain
              DJ DeSpain commented
              Editing a comment
              That's my main hold back on an order, the true cost pound after trimming away the fat. I'm with Huskee. There should be a high end meat provider that provides trimmed cuts. Be the first one on the block, and the others, like Snake River, will follow.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Guest My last Wagyu brisket was $160, and after trimming went from 14.6 to ~10 lbs. Effectively making it about $16/lb. It was slap yo momma good, but it's a cringe-worthy price for sure.
              Last edited by Huskee; March 12, 2016, 12:38 AM.

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I cringe when things go above $2/lb. Especially when cooking for fundraisers. That is why I prefer to do chopped. I can chop the WHOLE thing that comes out the cooker.

Jerod Broussard - whenever I do fundraisers, it's always pork butt that goes in the smoker. Pork butt around here is very reasonable, I can't screw it up, and BBQ Reubens always sell like hot cakes. I can fit 10 8-10 pound butts on TheBeast, my 32" Komodo Kamado, set the vents, and I'm good to go without my monitoring for 14-16 hours. It always turns out delicious.

I hate to say it, but if I'm cooking brisket, at these prices, it's for my guests and me. Of course, I'll also do butts if folks request it.

Good brisket, like fine single malt Scotch, is now ridiculously priced.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I don't pick the meat for the fundraisers. I get asked to cook so they can use my name to advertise. Furthermore, if people are buying the affordable pork at the store, it makes them crave those "$50 briskets" even more.

Just to complete this topic, here is the photo of the Really BIG Brisket as turned in for the BBQ contest, Smoke on the Shores, Nashville, TN March 12, 2016.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	BR.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	152149

Comment

That is a THICK brisket!!

Comment

• CandySueQ
                CandySueQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Would have done well at an IBCA contest! It was a bit tenderer than KCBS likes.

CandySueQ how did it turn out flavor wise? and did you inject? I have a 23lb SRF and will be cooking it in a couple weeks!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                23 pounds!!! Ouch on the trimming!!

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, what a beast of a brisket.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here