Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember how I said I had no plans to do a competition? Well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember how I said I had no plans to do a competition? Well...

It wasn't really anything to interest me, but they are having a pulled pork cookoff at one of the Razorback baseball games. Sounds like it would be fun for me and the girls.
    There is a blind judging from some 'celebrity panel' and then a people's choice. What interested me about this apart from the game is that we need enough for 300 tasters for people's choice.

So to the questions:
    Any idea of a team name? I stink at names.

I think my pulled pork is best with no sauce but I have never seen anyone turn in sauceless. Mustard sauces surprise folks around here, but they always seem to love it, Head Country has the most likes when I serve it.

We have to bring enough for 300 tasters, they are providing 4oz cups, but I can't imagine they want 4oz per person, that would be a ton of meat and if there are more than a few competitors each person would be getting pounds! Should I do a batch of mustard, tomato-based, dry and premix before portioning or provide sauce on the side?

Thanks for advice.

After smoking hundreds of pork butts you should knock this out of the park...pics please

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope so! Doing an entire case next week, i'll call that practice!

Team names are hard to come up with for others. I'd love to try to help but not knowing much about you makes it hard. I know your name is John, you live in AR, and you drive a Jeep...that's about it. Are you looking for a funny playful name, or a serious name?

Comment

Razorback Q

That being said, I am not a fan of your football coach Bert

Comment

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        We aren't either... shut up already dude. Now everybody in the country is playing us like a rival.

John's Kick Butt Q

Comment

Arkan-sauce BBQ ...or... Arkan-sauce-less

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          I like that!

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        I know your name is John, you live in AR, and you drive a Jeep
        Oops, I actually sold the Jeep! I didn't think I would but I got talked into a truck finally, more room and this thing is like the space shuttle! I drive to KC a lot for games. mmmmm adaptive cruise.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	146097

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful truck!

It's not Razorback red! Is a beauty!

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          No its not, I wanted a red one but this was a last one from 2015 so I got a good deal, saved enough money I can paint it if I have to!

Name -- RazorButts

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          I like it! So, would you ever serve pulled pork to judges with no sauce?

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Not to judges! At home, you bet -- pick your own sauce. Pork needs sauce in the judging box to keep in moist, in my opinion. Unsauced may not be dry, but it looks dry.

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Got it, makes sense, thanks.

No I wouldn't serve without sauce. I always do two types. A sweet with heat on the back end BBQ sauce and a vinager sauce. The vinager is less sweet and has heat.

Comment

Technically in KCBS you can't judge what isn't there, in other words a judge shouldn't take off points because there's no sauce. You rate what is there, as long as nothing disqualifies it. However it's clear your contest isn't a KCBS event, and if you're serving 300 random 'celebrity' and people's choice judges, they may have the preconceived notion that there should be sauce, and if it's not there that could be bad. Personally I want to taste the meat, anyone can make sauce or dump it on, to me the meat is the star.

Comment

The meat and the rub Huskee

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here