Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Contest in the book!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Contest in the book!

Cooked at the Twin Cities Mardi Gras Cookoff this past weekend! It was a grand time with almost 50 competitors from Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas. Good to see old friends and make some new ones.

Friday started off with an SCA steak cookoff --38 teams participated, grilling 2 rib eye steaks (provided) to medium doneness. Here's what I turned in. Didn't score with this.

Saturday was the ICBA cookoff -- chicken, pork spareribs and brisket. Chicken was big and that leg wouldn't tuck up inside the box very well. I wasn't happy with it -- neither were the judges. Ribs were mighty tasty. They would have done well at a KCBS event (I think), they were no good for IBCA. I saved some for dinner one night this week (what do judges know?)! Brisket was in the money with an 8th place finish. My buddy Allen brought over his brisket to sample (this is a ritual if we're both at an event). He pegged right away that my sauce was too sweet (not enough beef juice!). He got 4th place and deserved it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	monroeST.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	140108 Click image for larger version

Name:	monroeCK.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	140109 Click image for larger version

Name:	MonroeRB.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	140110 Click image for larger version

Name:	MonroeBR.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	140111

That brisket looks might tasty!

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      we'll see -- having leftover for lunch!

So I take it any green stuff in the box was not necessary at that event?

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      just a piece of foil -- IBCA mandates no garnish and exactly how the meat has to look in the box. 7 ribs, 7 slices of brisket (untrimmed after cooking) and half a chicken with the wing tip.

That is some great looking barbecue CandySue.

Comment

That would be some 1st place diner at my house, it looks grrrreat

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Great job on the brisket. I kinda like those rules.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too. It does limit creativity though.

CandySueQ which twin cities? Sounds like it was fun and the food looks great.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Monroe, LA, behind the Warhawk Stadium at the college there. I guess West Monroe is the twin? BEST thing! Found a seafood market that special ordered a 32# sack of oysters! Just finished those off last night. My hands are trashed from shucking.

Wow, all 4 of those boxes look like winners in my book, CandySue. Congrats!

Kathryn

Comment

Looks great, I prefer the IBCA rules.

Comment

Mmmm.....I wouldn't mind "judging" any of those - they all look delicious! Great job CandySue.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here