Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know nothing about competitions---can you verify this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know nothing about competitions---can you verify this?

Someone told me a story about some competition bbq'r who (with his expensive state of the art gear) won multiple competitions but then switched over to some inexpensive Weber or similar and still won. True? I'd like to get the details on this as I think it makes a good story in another context.... Thanks

Harry Soo- who will reveal all in a seminar on Sept 3rd http://amazingribs.com/pitmaster_club/seminars/

Comment

Yep, Harry Soo does his comps using a couple of Weber Smoky Mountain smokers, with a BBQ Guru or something similar.

Comment

• Papa Bob
        Papa Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        the stoker

I'm beginning to think that it boils down to whether or not the judges at your table got laid the night before or not.

Comment

Originally posted by boftx View Post
        I'm beginning to think that it boils down to whether or not the judges at your table got laid the night before or not.
        Which option wins?

Comment

Originally posted by mgaretz View Post
          Which option wins?

I have a guess but I don't want to spoil the outcome.

Comment

Well, I doubt the outcome would be good if the judge had to actually admit (even to themselves) that what they got the night before was worse than what was presented the day after.

Comment

There are a number of top teams that don't have high dollar equipment. No. 3 in the Team of the Year list, Smoke Me Silly, cooks on WSMs and a Yoder 640 pellet burner. They've had 2 180s (that's a perfect score) on brisket coming of the Yoder. Number 2 and number 5 on the Team of the Year list use Jambo Pits. I think (but am not sure) that number 4 uses a box-type smoker like a Stumps or Backwoods. And the leader, Warren County Pork Choppers, I don't know what he cooks on.

As far as what influences judges -- I'm still trying to figure that one out!

Comment

I think Warren Co is a Backwoods smoker team. Yes teams use all price ranges of equipment

Comment

I think they all should use a stick burner. No charcoal, no pellets, just good old natural wood logs. That's just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                    I think they all should use a stick burner. No charcoal, no pellets, just good old natural wood logs. That's just my opinion
                    I 95% concur. I would say charcoal should be allowed. It would be hard for folks like Harry Soo to use only logs on his WSM...but not impossible.

When I do beef I use mostly charcoal for the heat and wood chunks for smoke. Pork & chicken get all logs usually. I like your train of thought though as usual.

Comment

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I did say "stick burner". I would love to go to a BBQ completion that only use offset and/or reverse flow cookers only.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That would be great. Boy, those PBCers and pellet heads would be lost wouldn't they? Lol...

I'd just have to wrap my beef early then rebark it. But I'm game, let's do this!

Why not dig a hole in the ground and cook in a true pit? ;0) just teasing Charcoal, pellets and digital controllers all good all fun to cook on
                    Last edited by Thom Emery; September 24, 2014, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I bet I could dig a pit and use it. But if you really want to level the playing field, take away thermometers from the teams. (For safety's sake I would allow people at the turn-in tables to take temps, though.)

Comment

Originally posted by boftx View Post
                        I bet I could dig a pit and use it. But if you really want to level the playing field, take away thermometers from the teams. (For safety's sake I would allow people at the turn-in tables to take temps, though.)
                        I was thinking the same thing about thermometers....where does one draw the line between traditional and non-traditional? Does the meat have to be shot with a recurve bow too? Ha. Can we wear shoes? Can we put the radio on? Carry cell phones?

Joking aside, I think DWC has a valid point. It'd be great to have a competition where only logs are allowed, or one chimney full of charcoal to start your logs. Thermometers allowed, we want safe food. Steel tubes allowed, or any cooker as long as you use logs/chunks/firewood whatever you want to label it...but no pellets or gas or electric. Oh, and the meat should be real cuts, not muffin pan round chicken thighs. You want to cook chicken it should look like chicken. I would really enjoy such a competition. i am not trying to knock other cookers, I'm just saying a logs-only would be a fun competition. Not only do you need to know how to cook, you need to know how to tend the flame.

Comment

So how do we go about putting this kind of a competition together?

If I burn logs in a WSM can I play?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here