Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My foolish neighbor just surprise Bobby Flay'd me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My foolish neighbor just surprise Bobby Flay'd me.

Ok here's the deal, my neighbor just challenged me to a throwdown, Brisket. Due by tomorrow by dinner, since it's a mutual friends birthday. He's 46 though with little if any smoking experience, I'm 26 with a couple years.... just not with briskett.

He doesn't know that I've got a full 15 lb brisket in the bottom of my cold ass fridge that's been wet aging for 6 weeks. I was going to give it another few weeks but it can't be helped. I'm talking the 1.50/lb brisket though.

Problem is he's cooking a "flat only"$7/lb 5lb Cert. Angus, "guaranteed tender or your money back" situation. Good news is his boyfriend usually cooks, he seems confident in some recipe of his fathers....
    Bad news, this will only be the third brisket in my life I've smoked, last two were decent but could definitely stand to have been more tender, I'm hoping that's where the aging will come in. At least even the field considering his flat looks beautiful as hell.

So, I've done all I can do, just gonna rub it down with salt and let it brine for 12 hours since I think that's all I can spare and still have it done on time. Then rub it down and run it at 250° for till 160, foil (maybe?) Till about 185, return it at about 325° to dry the skin back out, removing at 195° give or take, consensus is I'm not to rest it at all in the cooler?

Thinking 50/50 s&p rub or maybe my standard spice rub with a little smoked paprika? Thoughts, comments, encouragement is appreciated.

I'd cook to a final temp of 203. Use BBBR rub from Meathead's brisket recipe.

Cook at 225 until meat hits stall around 150-160, crank heat up to 275 until brisket gets past stall around 175, then lower temp to 225-250 range depending on how much time you have left. If you get short on time don't be afraid to crutch. Good luck!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here