Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My foolish neighbor just surprise Bobby Flay'd me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My foolish neighbor just surprise Bobby Flay'd me.

Ok here's the deal, my neighbor just challenged me to a throwdown, Brisket. Due by tomorrow dinner, since it's a mutual friends birthday.

He doesn't know that I've got a full 15 lb brisket in the bottom of my cold ass fridge that's been wet aging for 6 weeks. I was going to give it another few weeks but it can't be helped. I'm talking the 1.50/lb brisket though.

Problem is he's cooking a "flat only"$7/lb 5lb Cert. Angus, "guaranteed tender or your money back" situation. Good news is his boyfriend usually cooks, he seems confident in some recipe of his fathers....
    Bad news, this will only be the third brisket in my life I've smoked, last two were decent but could definitely stand to have been more tender, I'm hoping that's where the aging will come in. At least even the field considering his flat looks beautiful as hell.

So, I've done all I can do, just gonna rub it down with salt and let it brine for 12 hours since I think that's all I can spare and still have it done on time. Then rub it down and run it at 250° for till 160, foil (maybe?) Till about 185, return it at about 325° to dry the skin back out, removing at 195° give or take, consensus is I'm not to rest it at all in the cooler?

Thinking 50/50 s&p rub or maybe my standard spice rub with a little smoked paprika? Thoughts, comments, encouragement is appreciated.

Here's what I would do, not that your way won't work, just what I'd do.

Use Big Bad Beef Rub instead of just s&p. Then add another light dash of salt on top of the BBBR.

Smoke at 225-240 until the IT hits about 180 (after the stall). Good bark by that time.

Wrap it tightly in double layer of foil. Let it go until 200 in the flat. The point will likely be a little under, that's ok for me.

Faux cambro it for 2-3hrs, or at the very least 1-2.

Comment

I agree with Huskee but you have an advantage here, he has no point, so you can bring burnt ends which in my book will win every time. Much easier to get tender and juicy from the point in my experience.

Comment

Bbbr, hmmm, comes well recommended so I'll run it that way. Still gotta run with the smoked paprika though, love that stuff. Unfortunately a lot of questions that I like to ask never have definitive answers; Trim or no? Fat cap up or down? Flip inbetween? Spritz/mop?

I would normally trim fat within reason, all the silverskin though, that's got to go. Fat side up and light spritz with vinigar/dry rub/hot water as needed. I do however see why some people say fat side down.

Edit: you're right, he won't have as extended a cook time either in my rather temperamental offset shit-house smoker. He'll be using his Once Used for Hot Dogs mid-road-cost- gas grill.

But maybe the sheer fact I haven't seen him with any wood chips or other tell-tale smokiny paraphanelia means he's actually just going to grill it? Hahahaha
        Last edited by Amnesiac; November 7, 2015, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          The BBBR tasted like a spoonful of straight black pepper to me and the peeps at my house. I prefer something with more flavor than just that. Might want to cut the pepper some unless you and your guests like black pepper to the extreme - or you'll see them try to scrape the cooked rub off to make it edible; but it won't work I'm afraid.

The Pit Barrel beef rub is about the best I've found pre-made, but lately I have been making my own:

5 tsp coarse Kosher salt
          3 tsp fresh ground multi-pepper (white, green, red and black peppercorns)
          2 tsp granulated garlic
          2 tsp powdered onion
          2 tsp crushed oregano
          2 tsp dried and crushed parsley

This makes enough to do about 1-2 big briskets or 2-3 large chuck roasts. I dry brine with it, then add a little oil to the meat right before it goes on the cooker.

Just in case you need a backup from the BBBR - I do suggest you taste the BBBR before covering the meat in it.

I do agree with the others that said to avoid the S&G rub on beef -- I actually avoid it on all meats. The BBBR and the S&G are the only two MH rubs I have not liked very much. The MH MD (with salt added) and Huskee's rib rub (old recipe) are staples in my spice cabinet!

Amnesiac yes I'd trim all the useless fat, wads of fat on the edges and so forth, and trim the main fat cap down to about 1/4". You don't want to trim all the fat cap off, sounds like you well know that. As far as fat cap up or down I view the cap as a thermal buffer- a protective layer- so I place it wherever the heat is coming from. That higher heat on the cap obviously protects the meat under it but it also makes that little strip of fat on the slices just delectable. In most cookers that would be down...BGE, offsets, cabinets, etc. But on my kettle with Slow 'N Sear the hotter air comes over on the top of the grate so I placed it up in that case with great results.
        Last edited by Huskee; November 7, 2015, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Heard that Huskee. Ive been thinking about going the Slow n Sear route, people seem to thrive with it. Personally the 30 gallon drum set up is looking like my next step. Thoughts on that set up?

Its just after 10 a.m. I'm Dallas, meat hit the grill at 8 on the dot. I was concerned with the difficulty of getting these offsets to hold temp so I tried to give myself max sunlight so I don't have to go through 3 bags of charcoal again. Will post pictures as proof.

I just flipped my briskett on your advice Huskee, I placed the flat, fat side up, closest to the firebox like a donkey haha. Hopefully not much damage was done or time lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Amnesiac View Post
            Heard that Huskee. Ive been thinking about going the Slow n Sear route, people seem to thrive with it. Personally the 30 gallon drum set up is looking like my next step. Thoughts on that set up?

Its just after 10 a.m. I'm Dallas, meat hit the grill at 8 on the dot. I was concerned with the difficulty of getting these offsets to hold temp so I tried to give myself max sunlight so I don't have to go through 3 bags of charcoal again. Will post pictures as proof.

I just flipped my briskett on your advice Huskee, I placed the flat, fat side up, closest to the firebox like a donkey haha. Hopefully not much damage was done or time lost.
            Amnesiac On an offset I'd go fat cap down, since the most heat should be coming from below. But let us know how it goes, it may not matter an awful lot.

When you say 30gal drum, are you referring to the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)? People love them! I'm quite sure you would too.

Comment

• Amnesiac
              Amnesiac commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, I know I should have gone for a choice or above brisket, but after spending 16 hours I'm convinced that any piece of meat, provided you ask enough questions and pay attention, and utilize some lesser known techniques, can be smoked to perfection!

That was, far and away the best tasting brisket I've ever eaten. (The flat would have benefitted from an injection but wasn't dried out by any means) Or that any of my neighbors or even my brother, and he's had all my cookouts, had ever had. I told them I had help I just didn't tell em if was you guys!

So thanks again gentlemen!

Great job Amnesiac! Glad it worked out good!

Comment

NICE WTG Amnesiac!

Comment

Way to go!!! #KeepCookinEm

Comment

Congrats! Got pics?

Comment

enjoyed reading along, it was like i was there!

Comment

Hey guys! Sorry I took pics but I managed to lose them. I really appreciate all the support and kind words! I know this message is pretty late but you know what they say, better late than never!

Thanks for reading and all of the advice! I'm lookin at you, Huskee!

Comment

That is what makes this such a great site-everyone here get's it! And they want to help...

Comment

Did you get to sample your foolish neighbor's entry?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here