Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sides for a local BBQ Competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sides for a local BBQ Competition?

I hope I'm not posting a topic I could've found in another thread, but I've searched and turned up no luck.

Our local United Way Chapter hosts a cook off, and this year is their 15th. It started off as a wild game cook off but has since evolved into 4 categories: Ribs, BBQ, Cajun, & Wild Game (and also a People's Choice). My company sponsors a team each year, and we've brought home 1st & 2nd place trophies for 3 years now in both Cajun & Wild Game. We've historically entered only those two categories, but this year, we're entering the Ribs & BBQ divisions also. Judging is nearly simultaneous, and there's a separate judging team for each division.

So, for BBQ, I'm cooking the cranberry bread & butter-stuffed pork tenderloin found at this site, and I'm also going to enter the ribs division with the Simon & Garfunkel rub. My buds on our team are head-cheffing the other divisions. I'm going to have to cook both the ribs & tenderloin on my WSM simultaneously, so that might turn into a challenge itself.

My question is: what competition-worthy sides should we serve with the ribs & BBQ? I'm a typical redneck dude, so I don't have many side options in my bag. I have a really great dirty rice recipe (that was used as a side in our Cajun winning last year), but I don't think it'll go with either of these categories. My wife's broiled vegetables are very tasty, so I plan to use them in either or both. Any ideas?

I've read on this site that Meathead's Memphis Dust on ribs would bring home 1st place trophies in rib cook offs, and that's exactly what it did for me! We got 1st in ribs, 2nd in wild game, and were the winner of best presentation. We didn't place in the BBQ division. Thanks for the dust recipe, Meathead.

Comment

Congrats! Memphis Dust is my favorite rub for ribs (and several other things). Where's the food pics?

Comment

Thanks! I failed to get good close up food pics. Judging for BBQ was 4:05 and ribs @ 4:15. So it was very hectic 20 minutes. Here's what I managed to get:

Comment

Smoked bbq beans!

Comment

Crack & Cheese is a winner IMO

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here