Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KCBS Steak Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KCBS Steak Championships

KCBS has started a new venture, sanctioning steak contests. Many don’t know that KCBS has judged steak as an "anything butt" category for a long, long time. This new venture is not intended st step on any other sanctioning body, it’s to build a framework for steak judging using KCBS methods. KCBS partnered with beef producers to "brand" a specific cut, the KC Strip, make these the required steaks for the contests. Creek stone Farms offered 6 pack cases for test contests. Unfortunately the Arkansas test contest for Sunday afternoon was cancelled. We have bad weather moving in.

Planned a test cook to try my method for cooking. That had to carry on! Cooker of choice was Weber Jumbo Joe. I plan to cook the steak on a cast iron skillet to get an even sear.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	747A14E6-D58F-45AD-85E3-18EDB27C6EAD.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1114406
    Steak is flipped every 2 minutes. This photo is 2 flips from removing to rest. Change your life red wine sauce in the ramekin.

Name:	5963758F-6AB0-4B23-9839-5EA675A39161.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1114407
    nice crust!

Name:	CD4CABDC-2A4D-4510-8F2A-57E3F1C59DCA.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	1114408
    The cut!

Name:	29147BFE-91BB-4CAF-AED4-63D62A8B1831.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	1114409
    Ready to eat!

Looks delicious. Because I am not versed in competition rules what will judging criteria be? Are there differences between KCBS rules and other completions? If so, what are they (Reader’s Digest version)? I would give that steak a great mark for appearance.

Comment

I suppose KCBS is filling the void left by SCA? Or is SCA still around? I know their steak was the boneless ribeye. I became a SCA judge a few years ago, but they seemed to rarely, if ever, have an event in California.

Are you giving out the recipe for your red wine sauce? I'm always up for trying something new.

Comment

Toughest job in cooking, when I do steaks for my family the menu goes from wave it over the fire to charred beyond recognition.
      Lately I've been using a temp flip method on my gasser hit 400 flip, get back to 400 flip etc.
      Can only assume you could do the same on a JJ.
      If you run sort of judges I can make myself available.

Comment

CandySueQ Beautiful KC Strip! My favorite steak. The SCA has still been active here in Tulsa area but glad to see the KCBS getting into steaks, also.

Comment

I like how they reference Meathead in their contest rules: https://p22.9de.myftpupload.com/contest-rules/

#6 under Cooking Rules, reads:
          Enhanced grill marks or sear marks are not encouraged and are criteria for deducting points for both presentation and taste. According to Meathead from www.amazingribs.com "the goal is to get a golden to brown color on as much surface as possible."

Comment

Good choice with the cooker ensemble Candy SueQ. Great result! Ready is an understatement!

Comment

I bet that steak would go great with PBR.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here