Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Royal in KC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Royal in KC

I was thinking of going to it this year as it is in my "home" stadium but I have no idea what to expect, I've never even been to a small competition before.

If I had the opportunity I would go. I'd go just for the experience and to taste some of the Q that is available. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Comment

I'll have my wife embroider you a "Cool Smoke" shirt. Walk around in that, plenty people will ask you to taste their food.

Comment

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!

What surprised me about the Royal, is that Tuffy won it one year, and the grand champion check was $10,000. I thought it would be at least $50,000 for how big that thing is. Not sure I would even break even after getting to and from that thing coupled with the taxes and all the expenses there.

Comment

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, especially with entry fee's and probably a thousand in meat.

It's not as expensive as you'd think! I guarantee that even with travel costs, Tuffy did better than break even with that $10,000 pot. My expenses at the Royal were $250 for my space (his was $400). Fuel for me was about $100 (that would be a higher cost for Tuffy -- he's farther away from KC). Meat for 2 contests (if cooking the invitational too), that's about $200 per contest cooking SRF, add more if using Duroc pork, less if using cheaper brisket. Supplies, etc. was likely another $100. Because the AR is a Sat-Sun contest, I'd have to leave right after the awards on Sunday. Needed a RV spot for Sunday night, then back to work on Monday.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here