Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lighting a kamados smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting a kamados smoker

need some help here guys. i have seem vids and pictures doing the light up of the egg. i have seen the light up in the center with 2 to 5 pieces of charcoal. some have putted 2 pieces at the 12 o-clock, and others at the 6 o-clock position. this has caught my attention and i been thinking (be nice) that this might be a way of controlling the burn rate and make it easier to control and maintain the temp. you know like the snake method. so any ideas? i am smoking tomorrow so i was thinking about to try a different way to light (i always light in the center 5 pieces) and test how easy to maintain temp control.

Kamados tend to burn away from the intake vent toward the back of the Kamado. If I am doing 225-275 I like to light it about midway between the center and the intake vent. Lighting it that way encourages more charcoal to burn before it reaches the back. If I am going for higher temps I light it in three places- 2-10-6.

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
      Kamados tend to burn away from the intake vent toward the back of the Kamado. If I am doing 225-275 I like to light it about midway between the center and the intake vent. Lighting it that way encourages more charcoal to burn before it reaches the back. If I am going for higher temps I light it in three places- 2-10-6.
      My BGE is completely different. If you look straight down from above, mine likes to burn at about 2 o’clock, halfway between the center and the edge.

Anyhow, I usually start mine with one of these things. They’re about $10 at Lowe’s, they last about 3-4 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1FC9E61E-7275-4D6B-9B6A-52AD4C32E999.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	922827

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        I leave it in for quite a while: 10 minutes, at least. Then it depends, what I do next. For bbq, I’ll stir the coals and leave the lid open a few more minutes, then shut it and work the dampers. For grilling, I’ll leave the lid open another 10 minutes or more, until flames are jumping, then shut the lid and work the dampers.

It took me quite a few cooks, and even now, almost 10 years later, if I’m not paying attention sometimes it doesn’t do what I want It to. Hang in there. You’ll get it.

• matthewheath
        matthewheath commented
        Editing a comment
        I ditched the electric starter for a chimney starter. It gets all the charcoal to a nice even white heat whereas the electric starter had hot spots.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        matthewheath , yeah, it does. I’ve thought about using a chimney when I grill on the BGE. As it is, I’ll leave it in longer, then give it a stir and wait a few minutes.

I use Weber cubes in my XL BGE. For low and slow 1 cube in the back. For hot and fast cooks I light half a chimney and dump it on top of the pile when fully lit.

Comment

• Planner47
        Planner47 commented
        Editing a comment
        For low and slow you put it at 12 o'clock, does it seem to give better temp control? this is what i trying to find out. i do not have a weber but the way i have seen the light with the snake method it would seem they would have a constant burn area(mass) and going in just one direction. just like the way you lite for low and slow.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Planner47 I have a BGE just use the Weber cubes to light my charcoal. I put it at 12 o'clock just because it is opposite the vent. Seems to work for me.

• Planner47
        Planner47 commented
        Editing a comment
        that is what i am looking for.

I just started to go with Zip cubes at 10 and 2.
      Seems to work well and the BKK doesn't run away from me like it did when I used 4 cube in all 4 corners.

Comment

• Planner47
        Planner47 commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks Smokin fool

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here