Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did i make a mistake buying a vision grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did i make a mistake buying a vision grill?

so I fired up the day I got it. just with bb and saw smoke coming out of the bottom right frame of the ash pan hold foundation. on u-tube I saw one guy use duct tape to stop the leaks. I called vision and we decided that there was a hole between the frame and ceramic. I even sent him a picture off my phone. he said that they would send out a kit to fix it. I was alright with that until the next day (thanksgiving day) I used bb and apple wood chunks. the whole frame leaded smoke. I could not hold a temperate at 325 to save my life. I e-mailed them (customer service) and asked can the frame for the ash pan be taken out so I can repair it wright and told them that there help in customer service has been great but the quality control is bad. how could they past this thing in CHINA? Well the reply I got was not pretty. and as far as if I could take the frame out and seal it wright he did not answer. so I called and he still would not answer the question. he said that the ceramic mix and sealant would fix the problem. we got into a discussion of spending over 800 dollars and this is what is comes to. he got upset and passed me on to his supervisor. well she was very good and answered my question wright away. just 2 bolts. funny time a got a email from them that my order has shipped. WOW that was for the repair kit that they are sending me, they are making look like that I bought this kit!!! they see no problem with these problems. just buy it and fix it. I have no doubt that after the seals are fixed this is a great grill. so did I make a mistake or do all kamado grills have this problem? ​

here is the picture of the grill without the paper towel. Click image for larger version  Name:	VISION 2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.69 MB ID:	416172he said that he could not see the hole between the frame and ceramic.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_52017.jpg
Views:	4351
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	416176 And this is his instructions. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_52017.jpg
Views:	4351
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	416176

Comment

My Broil King Keg has started to leak like crazy, right at and below the damper. But this is a steel Kamado that is being used 5 days a week for 5 years. (It has actually rusted out under the damper) Even thought I have used it A LOT, I am still not happy at all with Broil King Keg on this issue. The body is warranteed for 10 years. But I am ready to be done with it, plus they have changed the design and look of the BKK.

I have never had this problem with my KJ, and I don't expect too. It seals up nice and tight.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Bilbo63 that is common with many grills. The thermometer is (usually, but not always) a cheap bimetal thermometer. Plus it is not lcoated where the food is. Separate thermometer is always a winner.

• Bilbo63
          Bilbo63 commented
          Editing a comment
          Henrik I figured as much. It's nice that I now know for sure what the ambient temp in my grill is. Do you have any suggestion as to what I might try to get my grill to sit at lower temps. 225 to 250 or even 190 for salmon? Yesterday I cooked back ribs and I had the bottom vent pretty much closed right off and the top was just barely open. I was able to hold 293 steady but couldn't get any lower.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          There are two things to check. A) does it leak air? I.e. suck air in from other places than the top vent? B) light less fuel to begin with. Less charcoal burning at the same time => easier to control temp. What's your startup/lighting procedure?

If the proposed fixes work and it then performs as advertised - no you didn't make a mistake. If the fix kit doesn't do the job, well....

Comment

You should not have to add after market silicone to make the unit work properly. That is ridiculous. I would be asking for a full refund, no questions.

So did you make a mistake? Not really. You assumed the product you were buying would be free of defect and it would preform like advertised. Unfortunately, that is not the case here. Do what you can to get your money back and save up a little longer and buy a more high quality unit. This is disappointing to see.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree completely. If you're going to restore a cooker it shouldn't be a new one.

• Argoboy
            Argoboy commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought a Primo because it was made in the USA.

Spinaker

what is really disturbing is that the people at vision think that this is no big deal. just do as I say . they even told me that they are disappointed that people that give there grill a bad review do not go back and upgrade there review after they fix the problem with there grill !! I even asked the supervisor if she purchased a new car and found out that the back door did not open how would she feel if ford was sending out a repair kit for YOU to fix the door. no reply!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly, Call her back and tell her you want your money back. If you ask me, this is absurd. Return it, and move on.

I would take it back and purchase a Kamado Joe. One of my mottos is "You buy cheap you get cheap".

Comment

• Beefchop
            Beefchop commented
            Editing a comment
            Buy once, cry once!

• Planner47
            Planner47 commented
            Editing a comment
            lesson learned

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Kamado Joe, you won't be sorry.

To paraphrase and tweak a quote a little to fit from a Thomas Eddison, you did not make a mistake, you just found an option that wasn’t as good as advertised! More importantly though, you shared your experience with your fellow pit members and potentially saved someone else the hassle. That said, it sucks you got a product that was not up to standard. I hope that vision does right by you! Give no quarter and hoist the black flag!

Comment

Planner47 I often think of my ego when I got my first Kamado. I went green, but there were no other options than Primo where I lived at that time. Now my best advice for a kamado or any cooker (especially non-kamado cookers) is purchasing within your means, and what you are comfortable not looking in the rearview mirror on. With that being said, if the fix works, you may be stoked with this cooker for many years. However, as many have said previously if the fix is not to your likings, consider running for the exit and asking for a refund.

Comment

My BGE has never had a problem like you describe.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                JCBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, nor my Primo. Personally, I'd stick with the big 3 BGE, Primo, and KJ. I've never heard of this kind of problem with those three companies.

• Argoboy
                Argoboy commented
                Editing a comment
                The BGE is made in Mexico, the Primo in USA and I think the KJ is made in China?

Have you contacted Vision? Curious to hear what they have to say.

Comment

• Planner47
                Planner47 commented
                Editing a comment
                all correspondence that has been written here is from the vision help desk. and up to there supervisor buy the way I just got there repair kit today and it is generic. gives me no temperature ranges for application at all. they i told them it was in the 30's and they told me on the phone that did not mattered. it would work at that temp. I see no info on any temp application!

here is the picture of the repair kit. buy the way are there any other vision grill people out there or I am I all alone here on the dark side? Click image for larger version

Name:	vision4.JPG
Views:	2279
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	416490

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Have you contacted them about returning it? If so, what did they say?

Spinaker
              they said I can return it. problem is when I received the grill I put it together and then the boxes went to the garbage man. plus that thing weighs 220 lb. and I'm to old to push this thing around (70). what I think I am going to do is take the 2 bolts out that holds the ash pan frame in and I saw some high temp (600) silicone that I will use to seal this thing up. tried of the hassle with these people. I will do this in the summer when it is warm so everything can cure. that kit is a joke. I will use a temp control fix like the guy on u-tube (duct tape all around the ash pan frame). will not be pretty but it will work. plus I had a hassle with the people that delivered it, they just dropped it off in my front lawn. they were leaving when I caught them. I was suppose to sign for it and they also were to knock on the door. after I caught them they gladly wheeled it back to my back porch. so from now on I will just have to suck it up and live with it.

Comment

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Like @alsid said above at this point go for the fix and you’ll probably have many years of cooking enjoyment. Good luck hope it works out.

I do not know what happen to the picture in the first post so here it is again! Click image for larger version

Name:	VISION GRILL.JPG
Views:	2395
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	416848

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here