Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNSK First Cook - A Play by Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent thread Jim. I far to lazy to make a post like this.

Comment

Awesome thread, jfmorris !!! Can’t wait to hear your final thoughts and see the finished product!

Comment

jfmorris , “
        8:00pm
        Pit 262, butt 172. Tempted to go open all vents wide and crank it, as I want to go to bed in 2 hours!

9:00pm
        Pit at 263, meat at 178. Opened bottom vent to full. Left top vent at 2.” ......
        Keep the faith, brother!!!! Stay the corse!!!!

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha. Well, right now I feel like its a long slog, and I am reminded why I USUALLY start cooking a butt or brisket at bed time, for dinner the next day! I am pushing to get this pork off soon, pulled, and into the fridge.

You made a comment on the bark formation and I have to agree that while I love kamado cooks I think I get better bark formation with my kettle/SnS.

Comment

Great post, thanks! As for the bark comment: I agree, this is a thing with kamados. I never use a water pan in a kamado for this reason, and I cook at 10-20 deg higher temps compared to a ‘regular’ grill.

Comment

Awesome job! Pork looks killer.

Comment

Hey Jim, are you finding certain vent settings match up with certain temps or are you essentially gradually closing the vents to near closed when it reaches your given temp to hold it?

Comment

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post
                Hey Jim, are you finding certain vent settings match up with certain temps or are you essentially gradually closing the vents to near closed when it reaches your given temp to hold it?
                Hmmm. Good question.

I find that the vent settings for kamado mode vary from the vent settings for SNS “turbo slow” mode, but aside from that, I start with the vents wide open, then cut to about halfway on both about 100 degrees below my planned cooking temp, then about 25 to 50 below, go to the final setting. I’ve found that it is fairly predictable to get the vent settings for 225, 275, 350, etc. You just gotta be patient though and not try to chase it too quickly. Tiny changes can result in gradual climbs or drops over a period of hours, but it really is pretty stable.

the printed manual included covers some pretty good vent settings for different temp ranges, now if I could just find where I put the thing…. They don’t put it as a download on their website unfortunately.

if you have not read it go check out this reference:

https://www.kamadoguru.com/applicati...t.php?id=80777

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post

Hmmm. Good question.

I find that the vent settings for kamado mode vary from the vent settings for SNS “turbo slow” mode, but aside from that, I start with the vents wide open, then cut to about halfway on both about 100 degrees below my planned cooking temp, then about 25 to 50 below, go to the final setting. I’ve found that it is fairly predictable to get the vent settings for 225, 275, 350, etc. You just gotta be patient though and not try to chase it too quickly. Tiny changes can result in gradual climbs or drops over a period of hours, but it really is pretty stable.

the printed manual included covers some pretty good vent settings for different temp ranges, now if I could just find where I put the thing…. They don’t put it as a download on their website unfortunately.

if you have not read it go check out this reference:

https://www.kamadoguru.com/applicati...t.php?id=80777
                  Yeah, I was curious because it recommends adjustments by top vent only pg 15 while Meathead says leave top vent wide open and adjust bottom vent only.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...-or-smoker-dry

1 starter square seems like too much so far so I need to try for a smaller fire and work the bottom vent only the next time. Setting bottom to 1 and adjusting via top vent puts the fire at 310 or so with no control.

Akorn’s manual suggestions are a little strange but suggests bottom vent control too so that’s my plan for next time.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/19...84373312002118
                  Last edited by IFindZeroBadCooks; September 13, 2021, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post

Yeah, I was curious because it recommends adjustments by top vent only pg 15 while Meathead says leave top vent wide open and adjust bottom vent only.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...-or-smoker-dry

1 starter square seems like too much so far so I need to try for a smaller fire and work the bottom vent only the next time. Setting bottom to 1 and adjusting via top vent puts the fire at 310 or so with no control.

Akron’s manual suggestions are a little strange but suggests bottom vent control too so that’s my plan for next time.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/19...84373312002118
                    I just read through that Kamado Guru guide this weekend myself. SNSgrills tells me different vent settings for both vents, and I've been adjusting both bottom and top. I had never read Meathead's advice before you pointed it out, but leaving the top vent WIDE open to me would be an issue on a kamado - that advice seems more tuned to generic charcoal grills, most of which are not as tightly sealed as a kamado.

The general guideline I've found to be true is that you if closing the top vent down to an extent can cause temps to rise, at least briefly, as you are letting less heat out the top of the kamado. And opening the bottom vent up more can also increase the temperature of the fire. Obviously BOTH wide open leads to the hottest fire, but it takes a while to get there. I am talking about little tweaks if you are trying to get locked in at 225 for example.

I would try and follow the Akorn guide at least initially. Myself, I will probably on the next cook try the suggestions in the Kamado Guru guide next cook, where they leave the bottom vent about halfway open once the fire is going, and adjust with the top.
                    Last edited by jfmorris; September 13, 2021, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Does the SNS have a spring-loaded hinge or air hinge? I didn’t see any mention of one on the website or review.

Comment

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you look at a couple of the images on this page that show it with the lid open, you can see the springs back in the hinge area:

https://snsgrills.com/collections/ka.../deluxe-kamado

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You shopping for a new cooker?

• IFindZeroBadCooks
                        IFindZeroBadCooks commented
                        Editing a comment
                        jfmorris you know me buddy. I love to research them to death. I am really enjoying the Akorn and am very happy with the food coming off it, so it matches up great with the MB560. I just find it fun to see what my next potential kamado upgrade could be down the road.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
                    Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special