Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke profile on the SnSK -- Kamado versus SnS setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Spinaker - don't shoot the messenger. I was just saying what Dave's marketing says about why he made the SNS Kamado, and my own experience with OTHER cookers. This is my first Kamado, so I will be finding out the ins and outs myself. I do know that more airflow means more fuel usage, and there are definite differences in results. Stick burners are the least efficient, and Kamados are the most efficient with the least airflow. Flavor profiles are different as a result.
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 19, 2021, 05:07 PM.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    (Check out more here.... https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...s-us-howl-more

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry to differ with you here... I just don't believe that. You can get a great, hot fire by using a torch and a charcoal basket. Usually a cleaner, hotter fire gives you less smoke but a cleaner smoke. Also, more smoke does not simply mean more bark. The process is much more complex than simply dumping a ton of smoke on the meat. It is more about the surface of the meat drying out, the rub and the surface of the meat breaking down and having the Malliard reaction kick in.
    Last edited by Spinaker; January 19, 2021, 03:59 PM.

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    I don’t think you ever have to add charcoal or wood in the traditional mode.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Spinaker if you go by the SnSGrills "Turbo-Slow" arguments, having the SNS in a Kamado gives you a hotter, cleaner fire, and more smoke, which means more bark, compared to traditional Kamado mode.

Having had BBQ from a traditional Kamado, versus my kettle with the SNS or an offset, there are certainly different smoke profiles, with the Kamado being the least smokey in my personal experience. That goes from food I've tasted from a buddy's BGE, and another friend who has a ginormous Kamodo-Kamado. It was all good - just not the meteorite bark I had from my Weber+SNS or offset - it was more reddish-mohagany. I've yet to ever try food made on a pellet cooker. I know a few guys with them, but haven't been to their house for BBQ.

The SNS mode in the SNSK is losing a lot of the efficiency of a Kamado, in order to have more smoke, and much easier access to the coals for refueling or adding wood.

I'll be testing both modes on the new SNSK that arrived yesterday, once I figure out fire management and vent settings. On my second test run with just charcoal right now, and dropped the plate setter and upper and lower grates in, just to figure things out. It certainly takes longer to come to temp than my kettle.

Anyway, Smoking77 - I'll have some comparisons soon. I plan to try butts or ribs made both ways, and make tasting notes and take lots of pictures.
    Last edited by jfmorris; January 19, 2021, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    I will be curious to hear what others say. Personally, I just don't see why a kamado would need an SNS in the first place. Perhaps the water reservoir could change the flavor profile a bit, by adding more moisture to the cooking chamber; and we know smoke is attached to cold, wet surfaces.

I get the concept of an SNS in a Kettle, to a point. It does keep all the charcoal in order and contained in the SNS and it makes for a good searing surface. I suppose you can add water to the reservoir if you want. I never add water in my kettles or my kamaods, there really is no need is a cooker that has so little airflow. (I just do the snake method now when using my kettle, even though I have an SNS.)

Leave a comment:

• Smoking77
    started a topic Smoke profile on the SnSK -- Kamado versus SnS setting

Smoke profile on the SnSK -- Kamado versus SnS setting

Have a bit of the MCS (general comments/questions about what to possibly get will be in a different thread), and the SnSK has me intrigued. From a few different reviews, I hear great things about the smoke profile when in SnS mode, but never anything about when in traditional mode. Has anyone with the SnSK done a low and slow comparison? If so, what are the differences, if any, in the smoke profile? Any other noticeable differences? Thanks in advance!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here