Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking on lower grate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking on lower grate

Has anyone monitored the temperature on the lower/charcoal grate when using the SNSK in turbo slow mode with the SNS insert? I know on my kettle that the lower grate is at least 50 degrees cooler than the main grate, but I’ve not thought to check that on the SNS Kamado. I am wondering if it would be more even due to the ceramic construction, or have a similar delta.

I know the times I’ve checked the temp of the elevated grate on the kamado, it was about the same as the main cooking grate, but that might have been in kamado mode with the deflector in place.

My thought would be that since heat radiates up it wouldn’t be radically different that on the kettle. But, while I don’t have your Kamado I would guess that the distance from the SNS to the bottom grate would be greater than on the kettle which might make the temperature variance greater.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; March 26, 2022, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Haven’t ever checked this. I know there’s at least one SnS video about reverse searing steaks on the Kamado where they bring the steaks up to searing temp on the drip pan and grate set on the lower grate.

Comment

I have not although I plan to do a three level cook in the future. I asked SnS Grills if they have a video of this and they do not. They mentioned a 25-50 degree temperature difference between the drip pan level, main level, and elevated level on average but I haven't actually measured for myself. I get about a 35 degree difference between the main level and upper level though.

Comment

Well, I tried to run two butts on the main grate and one butt down on the charcoal grate level of the SNSK today, using the rack that sits in the Drip 'N Griddle, and I am glad I clipped a temp probe down at that level just to see what happened. With a fire in the SNS, and with the main grate temp probe at about 250-260, I never saw the temp at the lower level temp probe exceed 160 to 170. After about 2 hours and nothing higher, I ended up pulling all 3 butts out onto a pan, and then standing them on their sides on the main grate in the indirect side, using a couple of metal skewers through the butts to hold them in that position without falling against the one in the middle.

So, long story short - not sure that even beans will ever get done on that lower cooking grate in the SNSK unless you are running the main grate at 325, which would probably put the lower grate at 225 or so.

This was all in the "turbo slow" mode of course. There is no lower level when using the deflector in kamado mode.

So, my verdict - only cook on the lower grate on the DNG roasting rack if running the upper grate at 325F or higher.
          Last edited by jfmorris; March 28, 2022, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here